The Next Nirvana?

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
So, the 60s had the Beatles, the 70s had Zeppelin, the 80s had R.E.M. and U2, Nirvana was THE BAND of the 90s. Who looks like a contender to be the definitive band of the first ten years of the 21st Century?

Gearjammer

Devout Heathen
Reaction score
In my opinion, there has yet to be a band this decade that carries that kind of importance. I agree with your choices of the previous decades, and just don't see anyone that pops right into mind like a Beatles or Zeppelin. It's quickly becoming the latter half of the decade...someone better hurry up!

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to a band like that coming along. I really am. I think bands like Greenday and The Foo Fighters will certainly be recalled in the rock history of the right now, but certainly I don't see anyone who will carry on a name and a following like The Beatles, Zep, Nirvana, and the rest.

I'm wondering when this is finally going to come up. For those of ya'll who recall the rise of bands like Nirvana and The Beatles, are there any warning signs we could watch for? Like.... will the anti-christ rise to power through a non-elected leader or something?

eccentric man

Reaction score
AboutAGirl said:
I'm wondering when this is finally going to come up. For those of ya'll who recall the rise of bands like Nirvana and The Beatles, are there any warning signs we could watch for? Like.... will the anti-christ rise to power through a non-elected leader or something?

no one outside their immediate area saw it coming. the local scene would have known they were onto something big but the rest of the world had yet to catch up. the thing is i can't really see that happening ever again. the reason those bands were so significant is because they had time to develop a bit before being unleashed onto the world. now the 'new' is tapped, milked, branded, and sold at hot topic before the first chord is done ringing. i'm a firm believer that the next big band/thing in music will come through the net instead of through tv but i can't see it using conventional methods to get big.

newdawnfades

Reaction score
You have a point. Seattle is really as self-contained as a music scene is going to get. Many of the bands around here had time to develop themselves, play many of the local clubs, and establish their identity before they got sucked into the mainstream. Sub Pop was instrumental as well at pushing the product and keeping it local. It really allowed bands to retain a local identity and stay grounded once 'Grunge', the brand name, started blowing up.

The alternative scene was many years in the making going well back into the 80's.

eccentric man

Reaction score
yeah it's cool that subpop was trying to help the bands grow a little first but can it still happen today? when people can record and distribute their own albums from their rooms to the rest of the planet it doesn't really provide much of an atmosphere to properly develop something really new.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
eccentric man said:
no one outside their immediate area saw it coming. the local scene would have known they were onto something big but the rest of the world had yet to catch up. the thing is i can't really see that happening ever again. the reason those bands were so significant is because they had time to develop a bit before being unleashed onto the world. now the 'new' is tapped, milked, branded, and sold at hot topic before the first chord is done ringing. i'm a firm believer that the next big band/thing in music will come through the net instead of through tv but i can't see it using conventional methods to get big.

What methods might be used, then? I too think that the next big thing will come out of the net... but I don't know.

Nirvanadude

Vinyl Collector
Reaction score
As far as a band of 2000s - there will NEVER be another Nirvana, Beatles, Led Zeppelin, ect.

I'll go with The White Stripes for the first decade of this millenium

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online