The Midnight Special

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Wolfman Jack was always the announcer for Midnight Special. The show had numerous hosts until 1975 when Helen Reddy became the permanent host.

helreddy.jpg

If you care to browse each season and episode and see who hosted and the acts for that episode you can find all this information by clicking Here

Reaction score
Thanks for that site Magic! I'm willing to pay for these dvd's now.... I have to find them, unless of course someone would like to send me a nice late Christmas present;)

but this one looks awesome
Country-rock show:
--The Marshall Tucker Band (guest hosts) - "This Ol' Cowboy," "In My Own Way" & "24 Hours at a Time"
--The Charlie Daniels Band - "The South's Gonna Do It," "Long Haired Country Boy" & "Caballo Diablo"
--Olivia Newton-John - "Let Me Be There" & "If Not for You"
--Poco - "Hoedown," "Whatever Happened to Your Smile?" "Rocky Mountain Breakdown," "Sagebush Serenade" & "High and Dry"

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yeppers, that would be the one I would try to find. I am a country rock chick :D

Reaction score
Yeppers, that would be the one I would try to find. I am a country rock chick :D

Its such a perfect sound....
and that Poco stuff is tough to find, the record store usually has multiple copies of every album they have, like upwards of 6 for each on display, if they are more popular albums there is up to like 25 copies on display, a whole shelf filled with zeppelin I and II, anyways, they only have a few poco albums, and thats it, not even any more in their warehouse across the street.... I think I could probably live without the Olivia Newton John Performance lol

Truckin

Ride Captain Ride
Reaction score
Another show I use to watch was ABC's In Concert. Here's a little info on the show which debuted on 11/24/72. The second show featured the Allman Brothers. I was trying to find a list of performers who have been on the show but haven't come up with one yet. I see that the show was revived in 1991 for 7 years but didn't do as well as the original. Video is scarce of the original shows and quality not that good. Otherwise, I would have started a new thread on this.

ABC kicked off its first In Concert, pre-empting the Dick Cavett Show, on November 24, 1972, featuring performances taped a few weeks earlier at Hofstra University in Hempstead, New York. On the bill was the Senior General of Rock, Bo Diddley, acoustic duo Seals and Croft, R&B man Curtis Mayfield and for the opening act, shock rocker Alice Cooper.
Rock fans in Cincinnati, however, didn't get to see beyond the first few minutes of Alice's violent theatrics. Lawrence H. Rogers II was so mortified by what he saw that he ordered the ABC affiliate he owned, WKRC-TV Channel 12, to yank the show off the air immediately. Channel 12's decision to protect its viewers was responded to within minutes with a phoned-in bomb threat and several car loads of youths picketing the station. Some 4,000 letters of protest, many profane, poured in over the next few days, the biggest mail load that station officials could remember.

Station manager Ro Grignon told TV Guide that he wasn't opposed to rock concerts. "In fact, we think they're going to be a smashing success. We simply found Alice Cooper a little tense."
Meanwhile, the ABC affiliate in Kingsport, Tennessee complained to the network about the performance but ran it nonetheless. WPVI-TV Channel 6 in Philadelphia ran the show on tape delay at 1:30 a.m. Channel 12 in Cincinnati later televised an edited version of the show, sans Alice, to give viewers a chance to enjoy the other, less offensive acts that were on the show. The next In Concert show was sent to affiliate managers via closed-circuit for approval before broadcast

The Footage starts with 'Eighteen' and shots of Alice struggling to get to the stage through the audience, the police pulling him through the crowd, seemingly by his hair at times. The song proper starts with Alice lying on the stage in front of Dennis before sitting with his legs hanging off the front of the stage to sing the song. Eventually he stands up and plays to the camera a bit, swigging from a beer bottle before conducting the final fanfare by pointing to each band member as they play their final three note motif. An advert break followed before Dennis is seen picking out the opening bass notes to 'Gutter Cat Vs The Jets'. Alice throws around a trash can before starting the lyrics lying across it for the second verse.and wielding a nasty looking switchblade which he teases Dennis` hair with.

Then it`s into the taped backing of 'Streetfight' as Neal leaps over the front of his drums and attacks Alice in a very realistic fight scene, with them both wielding switchblades. Neal is victorious and plays to the audience before Alice creeps up and takes him out from behind. Dennis starts the intro to 'Killer'.

If what had already been seen wasn`t enough, this is where the band really blow you away. Alice moves around the stage, seemingly dazed after his fight before snapping out of it and snarling the words at the camera. He kneels at the front of the stage, playing off the audience. The gallows sequence begins with Alice begging the audience "I didn't want to get involved in this". He seems to go limp, as if resigned to his fate before the military drum rolls announcie the appearance of the gallows. Alice is dragged kicking and screaming up the steps and his head is placed in the noose by Glen as Dennis, in vicars outfit now, reads from a prayer book. A crash of thunder and Alice drops. Stunning.

The footage then cuts quickly into 'School's Out' with Alice in top hat and tails and bubbles floating across the stage. He`s right up against the front rows of the audience, interacting and egging them on. The balloons appear as Alice teases the front rows with posters which he throws into the audience while showing the evilest grin you could ever imagine as they tear each other apart trying to secure a poster. He sings the chorus to camera before encouraging everybody to sing along.

And then it`s over. A tour-de-force that shows just how good the original band were at that stage. It`s criminal that the footage has never been officially released. Only grainy black and white versions seem to exist in trading circles. Hopefully one day someone will see the light and release it.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
In Concert is another great show Truckin' which is very thread deserving!!

:grinthumb

Last edited:

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
I'm sitting here trying to come up with at least one memory of this show..:lmao:
I had to have seen it a few times but it escapes me. I think maybe it was because I played more and didn't watch much TV.. But all the songs posted are from a fun time in my life..:grinthumb

Tiny Tim

Reaction score
Man, I remember coming home from school and taking a nap so I sould stay up and watch this, along with Don Kirchner's Rock Concert, when I knew somebody good was going to be on.:heheh:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Me too TT, and my parents let us stay up to watch these shows, I lost track of all the bands I saw perform all those decades ago.

I am curious if anyone has picked up the new 5.1 remastered DVD's of the show that are on sale now??..

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online