The Lone Bellow

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
355142920_640.jpg
The%20Lone%20Bellow%202x3.jpg

My first new favorite group of the year! :grinthumb This is as much another folk giant as it is a return to elements I used to love in Country music when it was still Country. It has that classic feel found in The Civil Wars with the group harmonies found in The Head and The Heart. They also have a genuine enthusiasm especially when playing live. Here's some material from the debut:

lone_bellow_cover-art.jpg

Sunny

Settled down at last and very happy.
Reaction score
I can only view the third clip you put up Sooty and I like that one :grinthumb I'll go onto youtube and see if I can find more of their music.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
They sound good...like the tunes. I'm a bit worried that a lot of THESE bands are gonna start having the vocal stylings of Mumford and Sons and others...ya know?? Doesn't make the band bad or anything. But it's sort of like back in the day when all the Pearl Jam singers were out and about..and in the end the ony one really left was Pearl Jam.

Thoughts??

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I think it just happens to be the cycling of genres in general once again. This time it happens to be folk in general. While Mumford is the group that blew the doors open and surprised people folk had already been building again with artist like Damien Rice, City and Colour and even before all that Bright Eyes really gaining a following. I think Mumford is the protagonist but I don't think they are the influence on sound. For example when I hear big names that followed like Of Monsters and Men I hear more Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes. When I hear this group I really think of a mix between The Head and the Heart and The Civil Wars. I also hear the metropolitan era of country. For me, I don'y want these follow up groups to stop. I love folk and can't get enough just like I never felt overdone during the grunge era. I'd still be memorizing every band and picking them up if it was still the big thing. As far as who's left I think folk's a much broader enduring spectrum than Grunge ever was and if you don't see the same exact groups you will see work from it's members in some sort I think. You still see Ryan Adams come out with album after album and he's well past his commercial peak. :grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Lone Bellow could have stepped right out of the 60's or early 70's after listening to all 3 songs. 2nd one was the weakest of the 3 in the OP but the other two were good.

Don't have Mumford & Sons, so I can't compare them but they definitely have a throwback feel to their music.

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
They remind me of Nickle Creek, only without the sharp edges.

They (The Lone Bellow) has a more smoothly blended sound. The music & vocals are both less contrasting.

I like 'em.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Lone Bellow could have stepped right out of the 60's or early 70's after listening to all 3 songs. 2nd one was the weakest of the 3 in the OP but the other two were good.

Don't have Mumford & Sons, so I can't compare them but they definitely have a throwback feel to their music.

They remind me of Nickle Creek, only without the sharp edges.

They (The Lone Bellow) has a more smoothly blended sound. The music & vocals are both less contrasting.

I like 'em.

Thank you guys for checking them out. Just got the album recently and I love it!

@LG-I think with folk it's easy to sound like the 60's and 70's or even timeless as it's a genre that is all bare essentials. It's not something where much changes instrumentally and I think that you could place almost any folk artist in any era and not know the difference except for the cases of dated subject matter like Dylan. Other than that what changes are voices and how good that voice is at telling the story. With the harmonies they use it feels more like Country Rock in certain songs. :grinthumb

@Vehicle-I've only heard Nickelcreek outside of their live collaboration with Fiona Apple but that sounds like a fair comparison. I'd say they sound closest to a group that came out in 2011 called The Head and The Heart. :)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn