The Go Go's (Official Thread)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
The-Go-Gos-006.jpg

go-beauty.jpg

So I was thinkin' about these gals the other day and how much I enjoyed their debut album when it came out. I then realized...they have no thread and I'm sure there are a few Go Go fans lurkin' about.

The classic line up of the band is

Belinda Carlisle
Jane Wiedlin
Charlotte Caffey
Kathy Valentine
Gina Schock

Belinda would also have a successful solo career with many hits under her belt, so please post anything Belinda you may like, or any of the Go Go
's side project!! So have fun this summer.....let's go on VACATION with The Go Go's!!!

OFFICIAL WEBSITE

Beauty and the Beat (1981)
Vacation (1982)
Talk Show (1984)
Return to the Valley of the Go-Go's (1994)
God Bless The Go-Go's (2001)

008gogos_popcovers.jpg

tumblr_lgef9d58ea1qgjn5io1_500.jpg

gogos.jpg

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Go-Gos Bassist Sues Former Bandmates

:uh:

The-Go-Gos.jpg

SOURCE LINK

A lawsuit filed by former Go-Go’s bassist Kathy Valentine sheds new light on the inner dysfunction of the groundbreaking new wave group. Valentine filed her complaint in Los Angeles on May 24, alleging that her former band mates are conspiring to rob her of her fair share of the group’s income.

The remarkable 33-page complaint details a band history so fraught with intrigue and interpersonal conflict that it makes the scandalous Behind the Music program devoted to the Go-Go’s look like an episode of The Brady Bunch. In addition to the already well-known stories of rampant drug abuse, breakups and longstanding financial differences that have become part of the group’s documented history, Valentine’s filing reveals that singer Belinda Carlisle wanted to quit the band as recently as 2010, when she suggested a “farewell” tour.

The brief also states that guitarist Jane Wiedlin wanted to replace Carlisle and move on without her, and that when Carlisle relented and decided to stay with the group, they then joined together with drummer Gina Schock to try to oust guitarist Charlotte Caffey in a disagreement over royalties from songwriting publishing.

Valentine was the bassist in the Go-Go’s from 1981 until March of 2013, when the band announced they had parted ways with her in a post to their web site. She co-wrote some of their biggest hits including ‘Vacation,’ ‘Head Over Heels’ and ‘The Whole World Lost Its Head,’ and performed with them on every album and live show until 2012, when a broken wrist prevented her from taking part in a tour.

It was then, according to her lawsuit, that the other band members began scheming to force her from the band and take control of her shares of the group’s financial interests. Valentine states that when she had recovered enough to rejoin the tour in progress, the other band members told her they would prefer for her to sit it out and heal completely, and that when she subsequently clarified that she had no intention of leaving the group, she received an email from Carlisle in January of 2013 informing her that she was fired.

Her complaint accuses the other Go-Go’s and a myriad of associates of conspiring to improperly form two new companies, then using their controlling interest in the group’s existing holding company to license the Go-Go’s name and rights — as well as rights to their touring income — to the two new companies, in which Valentine has no stake. The filing states that the maneuvering results in her stake of the group’s revenue being diluted from their agreed-upon 1/5, or 20%, to a “stipend” of just 2%.

Valentine is asking for damages that she estimates to be “substantially in excess” of $1 million, as well as the imposition of a constructive trust and injunctions against the Go-Go’s “and all those acting in concert with them.”

The Go-Go’s have not commented publicly on Valentine’s lawsuit.

Marshall

Reaction score
I didn't find any other Go-Go's threads, so I thought I'd add this here. The Go-Go's documentary that aired on cable TV last year was
recently released on Blu-ray/DVD. The documentary was directed by Alison Ellwood (History of The Eagles, Laurel Canyon). It features
footage of The Go-Go's from 1979 (in their punk rock days) to 1980 (Urgh! A Music War), then to the Beauty and the Beat, Vacation, and
Talk Show albums, to the break up, reunions, and more.

The other day, I wrote a review of The Go-Go's Blu-Ray/DVD. The link is below. Thanks, Marshall

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
I didn't find any other Go-Go's threads, so I thought I'd add this here. The Go-Go's documentary that aired on cable TV last year was
recently released on Blu-ray/DVD. The documentary was directed by Alison Ellwood (History of The Eagles, Laurel Canyon). It features
footage of The Go-Go's from 1979 (in their punk rock days) to 1980 (Urgh! A Music War), then to the Beauty and the Beat, Vacation, and
Talk Show albums, to the break up, reunions, and more.

The other day, I wrote a review of The Go-Go's Blu-Ray/DVD. The link is below. Thanks, Marshall

Picked up the Blu-ray/DVD combo a while back, but I still haven't had time to watch it:

DVD.jpg

Also picked up the 2021 reissue of "God Bless The Go-Go's" on vinyl. I don't think the album had been released on vinyl before!

GoGo.jpg

StreamingTodd4545

Reaction score
An amazing band, the first all-girl band to actually play their own instruments. I'm older than dirt, so I saw them live numerous times in the 80's; best tour was the Talk Show tour, Red Rockers was the opening band. Even today, Belinda still looks hot, and she's about my age.

Marshall

Reaction score
Picked up the Blu-ray/DVD combo a while back, but I still haven't had time to watch it:

View attachment 206946

Also picked up the 2021 reissue of "God Bless The Go-Go's" on vinyl. I don't think the album had been released on vinyl before!

View attachment 206947
I agree,I don't think God Bless The Go-Go's was issued on vinyl before. Next month, Beauty and the Beat is being reissued on colored vinyl with an alternate photo from the one used to make up the original cover.

Marshall

Reaction score
Beauty and the Beat was reissued on pink vinyl three months ago to mark the 40th anniversary of its release. The Go-Go's were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame two months ago, with Drew Barrymore introducing them. The group goes out on tour next week, starting in San Francisco. Gina Schock on drums is having hand surgery, so Clem Burke of Blondie is filling in for her. The Go-Go's are also scheduled to tour with Billy Idol in the UK this June.

Back to Gina Schock, she recently authored a book which is a visual history of The Go-Go's and her own story with the band titled Made In Hollywood: All Access With The Go-Go's. It's 225 pages, with the majority of the photos taken by her. She has a lot of her Polaroid photos from the 80's in the book of Chrissie Hynde, James Honeyman Scott, Pete Farndon, all of The Pretenders, Charlie Watts and Bill Wyman of The Rolling Stones, Sting, Andy Summers, and Stewart Copeland of The Police, John Belushi, and more.

My review/web article of Gina's book was published online yesterday. The link is below:
My review of Gina Schock's Made In Hollywood: All Access With The Go-Go's book

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online