ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
The Germs
566880_356x237.jpg

The+Germs+thegerms005.jpg

the-germs-vans-3.jpg
germspic2.jpg

The Germs are a punk rock band from Los Angeles, California and were originally active from 1977 to 1980.They have since reformed in 2005 with Shane West replacing Darby Crash. The early lineup consisted of singer Darby Crash, guitarist Pat Smear, bassist Lorna Doom, and their most consistent drummer Don Bolles. They released only one album, 1979's (GI) (produced by Joan Jett) and were featured in Penelope Spheeris' documentaryThe Decline of Western Civilization the following year.

The Germs were suppose to be "Sophisti**** & The Revlon Spam Queens," but the name was changed to The Germs after they couldn't afford to put that many letters on a T-shirt.

The Germs disbanded following Crash's suicide on December 7, 1980. Their were very influential to many later punk and alternative rock bands.
Pat Smear went on to greater notoriety performing with Nirvana and the Foo Fighters.

In 2005 Shane West was cast to play Crash in the Germs biographical film What We Do Is Secret. He performed with Smear, Doom, and Bolles at a production party for the film, after which the Germs re-formed with West as Crash's replacement.

Crash committed suicide on December 7 1980 at the age of 22. It was unreported at the time that Crash had overdosed on China white heroin in a suicide pact with close friend Casey Cola, who ended up surviving.
Outside the world of Germs' fans, news of Darby's death was largely overshadowed by the murder of John Lennon the next day.

They were known for their chaotic live shows which nearly almost turned into riots causing them to be banned from nearly every place they played. This caused them to book shows under aliases because of their reputation.

In 1996 a tribute album titled A Small Circle of Friends appeared. IT featured tracks by Mike Watt, Free Kitten, The Melvins, Meat Puppets, that dog., L7, The Posies, NOFX, Flea, Gumball, and others along with a version of "Circle One" performed by Pat Smear with Hole under the name, "The Holez".

This band was amazing, pick up (GI). It really showcases the talent of this band. Live footage shows how crazy they were, but does not really show the talent Crash had as a lyricist since most of the time he was so high and drunk you would not understand him even if the mic was kept near his mouth.

Great band, highly influential, psychotic, legendary.

Current members

Pat Smear – guitar (1977–1980, 2005–present)

Lorna Doom – bass (1977–1980, 2005–present)

Don Bolles – drums (1978–1980, 2005–present)

Shane West – vocals (2005–present)

Former members

Darby Crash – vocals (1977–1980)

Dottie Danger (Belinda Carlisle) - drums (1977) - was replaced since she had mono, she stayed as a friend and helped the band out and can actually be heard introducing the band on the Live At The Whiskey recording. She only left because her new band, the Go-Go's was becoming popular, and, as she put it, "I was really disturbed by the heroin that was going on."

Michelle Baer - drums (1977)

Ambrose Nzams - bass guitar (1977)

Donna Rhia - drums (1977)

Diana Grant - bass (1977)

Discography

Studio albums

(GI) LP, 1979 - This is the album to pick up. It really shows the talent this band had.
GermsGI.jpg

Extended plays

Forming/Sexboy (live) 7"
Lexicon Devil 7" EP
What We Do Is Secret EP

Live albums

Live At The Whisky, First Show Ever LP
Germicide cassette
Germs Rock 'N' Rule

Compilation

Germs (MIA) - The Complete Anthology CD- this is one too get as well since it has all their material.
429px-Germs_-_MIA_Complete_Anthology.svg.png

Lest We Forget: The Sounds Of The Germs Box set (not out yet)

Soundtracks

The Decline of Western Civilization Soundtrack (live tracks) LP

Last edited:
F

FoxyPage

I've heard the name before but never the music. They seem pretty badass, I'll definately give them a listen.

Judging from the pics and video stills, I might get rowdy and throw my couch around while I listen to them. AWESOME.

Reaction score
I've heard the name before but never the music. They seem pretty badass, I'll definately give them a listen.

Judging from the pics and video stills, I might get rowdy and throw my couch around while I listen to them. AWESOME.

I think you may throw your couch, burn your couch, take a chainsaw to your couch, and possibly even piss on your couch while screaming like a wild ape:oyea:

The Germs were crazier than hell, and awesome for that.. if they weren't so damn crazy I might not like the tunes, but you can hear that insanity in the music:grinthumb

merlemayhem

Reaction score
They do shows now w the actor who played him in the (lame) movie, weak...

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Staff online

Members online