BikerDude

Dude
Reaction score
Trailer for Showtime's 'Lynyrd Skynyrd: If I Leave Here Tomorrow' Doc
by Alex Billington
July 19, 2018
Source: YouTube

LynyrdSkynyrdDoctrailerimgPurpTsr1.jpg
"When I think of Lynyrd Skynyrd, I just think of an outrageously fun time." Showtime has debuted the first official trailer for Lynyrd Skynyrd: If I Leave Here Tomorrow, an extensive documentary about the American rock band, from doc filmmaker Stephen Kijak (Scott Walker: 30 Century Man, Stones in Exile, Jaco, We Are X). This first premiered at the SXSW Film Festival this year, and also played at the Cleveland Film Festival. Featuring rare interviews and never-before-seen archival footage, Lynyrd Skynyrd: If I Leave Here Tomorrow takes viewers on a trip through the history, myth and legend of one of the most iconic American rock bands. The film examines their entire history and success, as well as their tragic ending when a plane crash in 1977 killed three band members and three other passengers, including founding member and lead singer Ronnie Van Zant. Another fascinating, comprehensive rock doc about a classic band. Enjoy.

LynyrdSkynyrdDocpostermain59901.jpg

This authorized documentary will explore the music and backstory of the legendary American band known as Lynyrd Skynyrd. With the songs from the first six Skynyrd albums driving the narration, the film focuses on the story of frontman Ronnie Van Zant - his upbringing, his roots, his work ethic and his contradictory persona as both as a mythic Southern rock poet and notorious boozed-up brawler, as well as the relationships between his friends and fellow founding members Gary Rossington and Allen Collins, along with later bandmates Ed King and Artimus Pyle. Lynyrd Skynyrd: If I Leave Here Tomorrow is directed by filmmaker Stephen Kijak, director of the docs Cinemania, Scott Walker: 30 Century Man, Stones in Exile, Backstreet Boys: Show 'Em What You're Made Of, Jaco, and We Are X previously. This first premiered at the SXSW Film Festival earlier this year. Showtime will release Lynyrd Skynyrd: If I Leave Here Tomorrow streaming exclusively starting August 18th this summer. Who's going to rock out to this?

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Showtime will release Lynyrd Skynyrd: If I Leave Here Tomorrow streaming exclusively starting August 18th this summer. Who's going to rock out to this?

Oooh, finally I'll have a reason to watch one of my half dozen Showtime channels that I constantly wonder why I pay for.

Thanks for this.

Reaction score
All I get is the message,

"The uploader has not made this video available in your country"

I'm in the U.K.

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
As a hardcore Skynyrd fan, I'll definitely watch this, but in all honesty, the story has been told a million times and surely, this particular documentary will not bring anything new to the table.

BikerDude

Dude
Reaction score
As a hardcore Skynyrd fan, I'll definitely watch this, but in all honesty, the story has been told a million times and surely, this particular documentary will not bring anything new to the table.

Agreed.
There have been numerous other documentaries that covered it.
But I'm super glad that Showtime is going to expose a new generation to Skynyrd.
I've long thought that for a lot of people Skynyrd occupies a stereotype and aside from 3 or 4 songs at most, people don't know the music, or the band members.
The "tragedy" in my mind is that they were robbed of their rightful place among a small handful of the very greatest bands in rock ever.
To their fans they have that. But to the wider culture they've been short changed IMO.
The one area that hasn't been covered all that much is the time between when Ed King left and the plane crash.
There was a lot of drama going on and the story has not been very clear.
I've heard it said that Ronnie had said that he planned on retiring to the position of song writer and that his brother would take over singing and touring.
Also stories of Ronnie trying to throw people out of planes and all sorts of mahem.
A lot depends on how much cooperation they get from members and crew and how much "veto power" Gary and Judy VanZandt have. We've always been getting one side of the story since the crash IMO. I'd like to hear it all.
We know the biography but the real inside dirt has only been hinted at.

Last edited:

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
I just watched this and have to say that it is hands down the best Skynyrd documentary to date! It doesn't have any new info or new stories for long-time fans of the band, but it does have many "unseen photos" throughout and the fact that all band members, a ton of people associated with the band have their say and even Gary Rossington participated, makes this the quintessential Skynyrd documentary for both old and new fans.

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildredLad

Members online