The Favorite Soul - R&B - Funk - Thread

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
^^^^^ ^^^^^ ^^^^^ ^^^^^ ^^^^^ ^^^^^ ^^^^^ ^^^^
Reminds me of house parties..we'd stack the singles up on the cue spindle...when they'd all dropped and played- you'd flip the stack of 45s onto the B-sides...and change a girl...lights out of course!

E-Z

Reaction score
Had to add some more Isley for E-Z they alway's reminded me of a train going down the tracks.. Disco.. No.. Just a beat you could dance too..

My favorite for many reasons by the Isley's..

I have ALL the Isley Brother's studio albums in a box set and I previously had all there 3+3 1970s & early 1980s albums on vinyl anyway some of there late 1970s and early 1980s albums have some nice 'jams & groves' on them especially the later 1970s albums like Showdown from 1978 and the 1979 album Winner Takes All which was a double-album with one disc featuring disco dance floor jams and the other disc featuring slow jams & groves.

Slipn

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
I probably already responded to this thread but can't remember.

I love New Orleans funk.
And yeah the MC is Doctor John.

The reunited version live.
You don't get more creole than Doctor John.. R.I.P. but New Orleans produced so much R&B music.. Most people who heard anything on the radio during the 70's would have never thought it came from there.. I was surprised to find out the native american band "Redcbone" Came from there.. Lot's of voodoo stuff happening down in the byou ..
I'm griillin and trying to post at the same time.. Bikerdude.. Bout time you checked into here..

Slipn

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
War without Erc Burton did some serious stuff .. Spun this song by them last night.. The radio didn't play it.. What a waste..

Slipn

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Once again.. Gotta give props to a cool band who had funk in there soul..

E-Z

Reaction score
The reason that I mainly like the Isley Brothers is apart from a Jimi Hendrix connection because Jimi played in the band circa 1965 is that on all the Isley Brothers albums starting with 3+3 in 1973 right through to the Between The Sheets in 1983 amongst some of the slow ballads and jams that are always featured on there albums there are always several heavy'ish workouts featuring Ernie Isley's Hendrix inspired lead guitar runs and a good example of what I mean are the two song That Lady & Summer Breeze both featured on the 3+3 album released in 1973. Ernie claims that when That Lady was released as a single many people thought that Jimi was playing the phased lead guitar right through the song!?!?.

Slipn

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
The reason that I mainly like the Isley Brothers is apart from a Jimi Hendrix connection because Jimi played in the band circa 1965 is that on all the Isley Brothers albums starting with 3+3 in 1973 right through to the Between The Sheets in 1983 amongst some of the slow ballads and jams that are always featured on there albums there are always several heavy'ish workouts featuring Ernie Isley's Hendrix inspired lead guitar runs and a good example of what I mean are the two song That Lady & Summer Breeze both featured on the 3+3 album released in 1973. Ernie claims that when That Lady was released as a single many people thought that Jimi was playing the phased lead guitar right through the song!?!?.

Yes Hendrix played with the band. But you hear that phase guitar in quite a few songs by them. I have tried to get every vinyl copy of anything the Isley's did. I might be miss ing just a couple. Their music is high charged with energy. The ballads.. meh. I dig their dance stuff a bit more..
The one album you spoke of "Showdown" was my first LP from them I bought. It's so hard to find a copy these day's that isn't scratched from being played at a party and drunken hands and old needles ruining it.

A Isley song I like..Good bass work..

Reactions: E-Z

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online