The Favorite Soul - R&B - Funk - Thread

Slipn

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Sorry about the 'Nottm slang' SC...things like that can get folk in hot water!
These tracks are taking me straight back to Rock City and the Nottm Palais..they did Funk Allnighters:
10pm- 7am.
Saw Bob James, Herbie Hancock, Lynx , Shakatak and early Level 42.
Osibisa..were another entity of weirdness..funky prog!

No need.. Just schoolin you on how shitheads take things a little serious.. :brew: Beers on me..

T- Connection wrote a great song that should be in the break up thread..

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
Just going thru my 12" singles..lots on Atco and even Vanguard!..Country Joe was on that label.
Anyhow..rooted this out the racks..'fore i hit the hay for the night.
The Players Assoc - Turn The Music Up.

Slipn

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
^^^^^^ Nice cool jam.. Let me ask you, Did you find these songs on your local radio, or did you hear them at parties or clubs??

Most of the stuff I post is from nightclubs but a few were on the underground radio stations. You can find some good stuff being played by University radio station's that only come on late at night..

The thing I enjoyed was when I lived by San Fransisco in the 80's, they would feature from 9 to 11 pm guest DJ's who would do mix dance music.. You know continual non stop music.. They inspired me to learn the art of mixing songs on Two turntables.. Now day's club DJ's use equipment that makes it easy to mix.
If your using turntables, your using needles instead of digital so you have to get it right or you screw up the mix, or your record could skip right in the mix and then.. ya.. people on the dance floor give you that look!!
:confused:

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
Southern...i mostly heard these songs..just being around Record Shops, i used to supply Hair Salons and Boutiques in my city with Mix Tapes...every 4 weeks..only charged £5...but soon other stores got on the case and i was knocking out( another meaning here.) loads of tapes with varying styles..including oldies-
A bit of a curse on my wallet, liking so many different genres of music..another weakness is Reggae & Dub...and those albums ain't cheap.
I then began 3 day house parties..covering all the windows to dis-orientate the punters...lots of herbs and chemicals-Can,
Kansas, Queen and Quo went down well with a memory such as this.
Heatwave - Boogie Nights.

Slipn

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Southern...i mostly heard these songs..just being around Record Shops, i used to supply Hair Salons and Boutiques in my city with Mix Tapes...every 4 weeks..only charged £5...but soon other stores got on the case and i was knocking out( another meaning here.) loads of tapes with varying styles..including oldies-
A bit of a curse on my wallet, liking so many different genres of music..another weakness is Reggae & Dub...and those albums ain't cheap.
I then began 3 day house parties..covering all the windows to dis-orientate the punters...lots of herbs and chemicals-Can,
Kansas, Queen and Quo went down well with a memory such as this.[

Well that's cool you did that.. That means those who purchased your tapes like your choices in music.. You know how hard it is to please everybody with your hand picked choices?? You can't please them all in other words..
And there you go with another great group.. Heatwave..

That Heatwave debut album goes way back with me..

How about the Scot's who were famous for funky music and had a few hit's in the states from the 60's and 70's..

Slipn

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
And Mass Productions hit.. Firecracker was about the same time in the states as AWB..

Then there was Brick.. with this hit..

Slipn

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
But nothing like this hit from the "OHIO PLAYERS"..Sugar was a master guitarist..He could play as well as Stevie Ray Vaughn in my book.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online