The "Comeback" album...

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Another well awaited album that beats ANGEL and THE EAGLES in the time gap factor........an amazing 34 years !!
THE STOOGES released "The Weirdness" to very mixed reviews in 2007. Their last studio work together was the epic "Raw power" in 73.
I have all THE STOOGES albums and many IGGY POP albums on vinyl/cd and agree this album was a bit of a let down. Sadly guitarist Ron Asheton died 2009....the album also featured original sax player Steve Mackay

Attachments

• The_Stooges_-_The_Weirdness.jpg
    The_Stooges_-_The_Weirdness.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 38

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I saw Iggy Pop on TV a few days ago...can't remember what he was doing except it was a movie he appeared in not about his music career...:dunno:

Never been a Stooges fan myself, but 34 years is a lifetime LOU...I didn't think anyone would top the Eagles interval but there you go.:hab:

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
What about Permanent Vacation?

I think " Done with Mirrors" was really supposed to be Aerosmith's big comeback album with everbody back in the band, but there is no doubt that "Permanent Vacation" was the start of their real comeback.

Permanent vacation was indeed a populat album for them, I think what LOU/RELM is wanting from people is the albums that the band came back with after a lengthy gap and "Done With Mirrors" was that album for Aerosmith:)

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
Here is the classic from Leafhound, Growers of Mushroom, released in 1971

thumbnail.aspx

Their comeback album Unleashed was released in 2007 that is a gap of about 36 years!!!!!!!

thumbnail.aspx

When I asked them why they had waited so long to release another album they said they had been too busy and would continue to re-release the first album with more tracks everytime I purchased the new re-release:oyea:

oakdale dude

Reaction score
Permanent vacation was indeed a populat album for them, I think what LOU/RELM is wanting from people is the albums that the band came back with after a lengthy gap and "Done With Mirrors" was that album for Aerosmith:)

I suppose it depends on how you look at it.

If you want to be technical, you are right. "Done With Mirrors" did precede "Permanent Vacation" That is all it is noteworthy for.

But considering that Done With Mirrors did not exactly set the rock world on fire, and was not exactly a "belter" as described in the beginning post I think it is arguable about what their true comeback album was.

The original post mentions Sabbath's "Heaven And Hell" And while it was their best album in a while, the gap between that and "Never Say Die" was less than two years. That is not a lengthy gap at all. Heaven And Hell was a great comeback album because it was much better than Never Say Die, not because a huge amount of time had passed between the two releases.

There is no doubt to me that it was Permanent Vacation and not Done With Mirrors that saved Aerosmith's career as a band and made them relevant again after their reunuion, not Done With Mirrors.

...Just my opinion :)

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
I suppose it depends on how you look at it.

If you want to be technical, you are right. "Done With Mirrors" did precede "Permanent Vacation" That is all it is noteworthy for.

But considering that Done With Mirrors did not exactly set the rock world on fire, and was not exactly a "belter" as described in the beginning post I think it is arguable about what their true comeback album was.

The original post mentions Sabbath's "Heaven And Hell" And while it was their best album in a while, the gap between that and "Never Say Die" was less than two years. That is not a lengthy gap at all. Heaven And Hell was a great comeback album because it was much better than Never Say Die, not because a huge amount of time had passed between the two releases.

There is no doubt to me that it was Permanent Vacation and not Done With Mirrors that saved Aerosmith's career as a band and made them relevant again after their reunuion, not Done With Mirrors.

...Just my opinion :)

We all have an opinion:)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
You know I never bothered thinking about it too much, I just looked at "comeback" as putting out a "stonking good album" bringing a band back from the depths of mediocrity.

Here's another one, hope LOU doesn't mind.;)

Saxon, my favorite NWOBHM band put out a series of three albums trying to follow the success of Foreigner and Boston back in the late 70's early 80's, hoping for that massive commercial breakthrough into the American market. Never happened and many of their stalwart fans were put off, so eventually Saxon came full circle and released, "Solid Ball of Rock" which was a return to the form of Strong Arm of the Law and well received by their fans. I'm pretty sure I have every album Saxon ever released now and have to say from Dogs Of War onward they were releasing even better albums than their early career.

saxonsolidballofrock.jpg

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
I did leave the term "Comeback " album open for interpretation , so if the album , for example "Done with Mirrors" wasnt the commercial success of some of the later AEROSMITH albums to me it doesnt matter.....because I love that album !![ Underated ..me thinks] So fair play Oakdale dude ....your opinion about "Permanent Vacation "[ another good album ] counts and is viable.:cheers2
Sweaty my main man....crikey LEAFHOUND ! Good call....36 years! That tops THE STOOGES so far, in gaps between albums. Good band too, but where and why have they been hibernating for so long ? I will have to check up on them. Guess another comeback 70s band would be COMUS.
Heres another "Comeback " album......much loved, which was a massive success :bow:

Attachments

• album-ACDC-Back-in-Black.jpg
    album-ACDC-Back-in-Black.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 20

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
Good call Lou, love that album, still sells now.

ANother come back album for this band was a success, I worked in a record shop at the time and it sold bucket loads and I purchased it too and that album was.............

Pink Floyd The Division Bell... a gap of 7 years and was their last studio album

160px-Pink_Floyd_-_Division_Bell.jpg

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hannibal37

Members online