Reaction score
TEN
Return to Evermore (2006)
Frontiers Records
Produced by: Gary Hughes

For the Genre: **--- (2/5)
Compared to the Era: ****- (4/5)

Summary: Return to Mediocrity

While some die-hard Ten fans will probably disagree, Return to Evermore is an album with a bad case of having a split personality. First, the good news. “Strangers in the Night” and “Sail Away” are, incidentally, magnificent pieces and “Even the Ghosts Cry” and “ Evil’s On Top in the World” are textbook Melodic Rock ear-candy, especially thanks to Vinny Burns’ replacement on guitars, Chris Francis. For some reason, though, the album veers off into alternative rock-land with tracks like “Lost Soul” and “Tearing My Heart Out,” which seem to be inspired by the initial work of Alice In Chains or even The Black Crowes. Nevertheless, these tracks are still more enjoyable than “Dreamtide,” a song with a terrible mix and ridiculous sound effects that spoiled an, otherwise, nice tune with a phenomenal chorus.

I have no idea what they were talking about in the liner notes when they compared Pete Coleman to Yngwie Malmsteen by calling him “Oldie Pipesteen”. I’m sure Mr. Coleman is good, but why the hyperbole? Especially when his part—the English pipes in the song “Evermore”—is not particularly spectacular. His line adds a nice touch at best. In fact, that song was getting ready to end up very lame until you get to the heart of the track. Even then, it joins songs like "Temple of Love" in being like the rest of the record: the material just isn’t the strongest thing Ten has ever done.

In fact, the one reason I haven’t tried to eBay my copy is that the artwork is brilliant, especially the on-disc printing. Otherwise, it doesn’t seem like two years was spent getting this record out. Even though I liked it much better than Babylon, I couldn’t bring myself to listen to this album more than just the few times it took to get acquainted with the material because there were just too many issues. Excessively lengthy tracks due to excessively lengthy introductions, inaudible lyrics, poorly mixed drums and songs that were beneath Hughes’ typically ability to write strong material.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: [REVIEW]: Return to Evermore (2006) by Ten

Iggy posted "Stormwarning" by Ten a while ago, I finally got around to playing it recently and enjoyed it.

Sounds to me like "Return to Evermore" fell way short of your expectations Dairenn.

Pixel

The Woolly One
Reaction score

Return To Evermore is my personal favourite. I just find it really easy to listen to and I like how they explore a number of different styles within the album, giving a nice bit of variety. I can happily listen to this album over and over again; there's only one song I'm not really keen on, namely 'The One' which, while a good song, doesn't really do all that much for me. This album is upbeat one minute and melancholy the next, which is no bad thing, showing they can convey, and evoke, different emotions in the listener. All in all, I really like this one and would pick this over Babylon, and possibly also over Stormwarning, any day.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I've only played Stormwarning once, so I can't say anything other than I liked it...if I see a copy of Babylon or ...Forevermore I'll check them both out.

Dairenn

Recording Artist
Reaction score

I haven't listened to Stormwarning just yet; just one of the singles off of the CD that was released when the album came out recently. That song did not leave me feeling impressed by itself so if the rest of the album was like that song, I would agree that Return to Evermore is probably a much better record. There is a lot of enjoyable material on here, but it just didn't floor me the way The Robe did, for example. Music from that album is the big reason why I started following Ten in the first place.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online