Tangerine Dream (Official Thread)

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Tangerine Dream​

Tangerine Dream Official Website

Tangerine Dream was formed in the late 60's in Germany, but didn't release their first album until 1970. The band, which is normally a trio, was founded by Edgar Froese and has undergone numerous member changes in the last 4 decades. Edgar being the only member who has remained with Tangerine Dream since the 60's.

Edgar+Froese++1974.png

edgar_froese3.jpg

edgar-froese-tangerine-dream.jpg

Tangerine Dream is basically ambient electronic music but has a huge influential history. They were pioneers in Krautrock in the 70's, which are known as the "Pink Years", with the albums 'Electronic Meditation', 'Alpha Centauri', 'Zeit', and 'Atem'. This is called the pink years because the record label, Ohr's logo was a pink ear.

Next came their influential "Virgin Years", where the band was innovative in the New Age movement. Tangerine Dream had numerous albums released by Virgin Records. A couple of my faves from this era would be 'Encore','Stratosphere',and 'Ricochet'.

Tangerine Dream is also noted for creating musical scores for numerous Film Soundtracks:

You may recognize this Tangerine Dream score from "Risky Business"

Or this score from "Legend" (the music is written by Tangerine Dream but the lyrics were written and sung by Jon Anderson of Yes):

Tangerine Dream Discography

There are way too many album releases, both studio and live, to even begin listing them. Tangerine Dream has over 100 album releases, and this doesn't include Froese's solo releases.

Tangerine Dream is a phenomenal synth band and well worth giving them some forum praise.

Last edited:

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Re: Tangerine Dream

Great band Magic ! You beat me in doing a thread about these guys . Have to thank my sister for getting me in to them in the 70s .I have about 6 or so albums of theirs.....as you say they have made over a hundred albums so I cant see me collecting them all :heheh:
While LG likes to chill out to Classical masterpieces......I prefer the darker electronic style of these German wizards
Favorite albums? " Stratosphere" :bow: comes to mind.....one to avoid..."Zeit"...a double album of a annoying hum sound :mad

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

"Hyperborea" from 1983 is a really good deep, dark, spacy album. This album is a classic example of the electronica of the 80's.

cover_4381717102008.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Iggy

Coal mining ruffian
Reaction score

I have Force Majeure on clear vinyl ... 1979.
What a cool, hip young man I was at 20 :flirt
I like this forum .. it reminds me of what fine music
I have in my collection, and inspires me to dig out those
old classics. Tangerine Dream ..... Krautrock at it's best.

Last edited:

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

Time for some more class TANGERINE DREAM chill out !! :cheers2

Mothers of Rain

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
I have been listening to TANGERINE DREAM lately, I advise anyone to have at least 2 of their albums in their collection.
Edgar Froese has done some good solo albums too, check out this track pure mesmerising material :grinthumb
The synthesiser is an underated instrument in rock music

Maroubra Bay

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I tried getting Sox interested but he didn't like them at all LOU.

I love the synthesizer, and one thing about the 90's rock music movement that mystified me was the near wholesale abandonment of keyboards in favor of the "gargage" sound which we grew up with in the 60's. I love guitar driven bands as well, but will always enjoy a good moog solo from the 70's/80's rock music I love.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Tangerine Dream has some interesting covers on the Under Cover album (2010)

tangerine-dream-under-cover.jpg

Hotel California

Wish You Were Here

Norwegian Wood

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
:rip: R.I.P Edgar Froese .Will Tangerine Dream continue ?

Classic 70s Tangerine Dream

Ricochet pt 1

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Staff online

Members online