Status Quo - Ma Kelly's Greasy Spoon (1970)

Powerage

Let There Be Rock!
Reaction score
"When I left Status Quo they were one of the top ten bands in the world,
now they're a laughing stock."

Alan Lancaster

The first problem is, Quo were never respected or rated by the music press, and so public opinion on Quo has always been dodgy. Second, they were releasing dodgy singles long before Alan Lancaster left the band. His comments out the likes of Rockin All Over The World, Wild Side of Life and even worst Marguerita Time are well known amongst Quo fans.

Now that there is talk, genuine talk, of a reunion of the line-up that put Quo on the map and had a shitload of success, a lot of these things have been swept away and forgotten about. Personally for me, this is a good thing, but I suspect many of the old guard that followed Quo from the early days and tried to follow them post 86 when they 'reformed' still cannot forgive and forget.

The thing that has annoyed me most over the years as a Quo fan is the consistent attempt by Rossi and Parfitt to be 'national treasures'. The Stones and The Beatles are national treasures without ever having to stoop so low as appearing on Coronation Street.

I love Quo pretty much more than anything, but the things I have seen them do, even in my relatively short Quo following career, have often left me shaking my head and at times fully angry.

But I think the band have recognised that and are trying to amends, but it's sadly a case of too little too late.

I could post about Quo all day :D

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
I was horrified when Parfitt and Rossi were awarded OBEs, especially as Coghlan and Lancaster were excluded. It reminded me of the scene in Quadrophenia where The Face becomes a bellboy. Having said this, I would really like the classic lineup to reform and make at least one more album.

Powerage

Let There Be Rock!
Reaction score
I was horrified when Parfitt and Rossi were awarded OBEs, especially as Coghlan and Lancaster were excluded. It reminded me of the scene in Quadrophenia where The Face becomes a bellboy. Having said this, I would really like the classic lineup to reform and make at least one more album.

Unfortunately it's all gone quiet on the reunion front, supposedly the gigs are in March next year, but current Quo have added 4 shows in Australia after a successful ad campaign for a supermarket or something. So we'll see.

Did you know that there is a new documentary film out next month that'll be in cinemas and then DVD / Blu Ray that will feature recordings of the classic line-up playing at Shepperton studios last year? Check the official Quo site for more info. :grinthumb

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
I didn't know about the new documentary. Do you know anything about the last album, Quid Pro Quo? The critics like it, but they often greet new Staus Quo albums favourably - even if they are disappointing compared with the classics.

Powerage

Let There Be Rock!
Reaction score
Quid Pro Quo has some EXCELLENT tracks on, as well as some duff ones. It's sad really, because Quo can do no right. It suffers from being too long in my opinion, it's about 14 or 15 tracks. The band have obviously tried to give us value for money, but 10 tracks would have made for a much more focused effort in my opinion. It was only sold through Tesco. Got to number 10 in the UK album charts which for Quo is a great achievement.

My favourites:

Dust To Gold

Movin' On - Turn this shit up!

Leave a Little Light On

You can get the album on Play.com and Amazon.co.uk for about £6 or £7. It comes as a double as standard. The second disc is live and features greatest hits recorded in Melbourne and Amsterdam.

The whole album is on YouTube, just thought I'd hook you up. Hope you like it.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Thanks for this Powerage, I've listened to all three (Movin' On does sound good) and I'll listen to the whole album this evening.

Powerage

Let There Be Rock!
Reaction score
Including Quid Pro Quo, the last 4 studio albums have been amazing.

Heavy Traffic [2002] The Party Ain't Over Yet [2005] In Search of The Fourth Chord [2007] and now Quid Pro Quo [2011].

In Search of the Fourth Chord is the worst name for an album of all time and the artworks pretty pony too in my opinion. But it really has some blinding tracks on it.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online