Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Inez and Charlie Foxx

822inezcharlie.jpg

114349082.jpg

This brother and sister duo from Greensboro, North Carolina had several big hits on the R & B / Soul charts in the mid 1960's. They were signed to the Symbol record label (a subsidiary of Sue records) in 1962 and released thier biggest hit "Mockingbird", which has been covered by James Taylor, Aretha Franklin, Carly Simon and Dusty Springfield. After recording 4 singles on Symbol records, the duo moved on to Dynamo records to release 8 more singles and an LP (in 1967). They broke up as a duo in 1969, with Inez continuing to record solo until 1972 and Charlie becoming a producer. Charlie died in 1998 of Lukemia.

COVER.jpg.

Inez and Charlie Foxx - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Inez & Charlie Foxx | AllMusic

Mockingbird

Don't Do It No More

(1234567) Count the Days

Inez Foxx, solo, I Stand Accused

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Hey Oscar, thank you sooooo much. I'd never heard that song before. Why, oh why wasn't this woman a star?

There were a lot of these golden voices of the late 50's-70's that were never stars. Most of it had to do with what record label they were signed to. Motown was obviously the biggest label and those artists got the most promotion. Some of these other artists made bigger splashes in the UK than they did the in the USA because they toured more in the UK.

Mitty's biggest record label was Chess Records of Chicago, IL (which is now owned by Universal Music Group), who also recorded the likes of Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, John Lee Hooker, Willie Dixon, and Chuck Berry. Chess Records was a big company back then, but I don't think they promoted the women as heavily as the men ;)

You might know that The Rolling Stones song "2120 South Michigan Avenue" is about the physical address to Chess Records, where they made a recording on their first US tour in 1964.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
(A little bit of more modern soul)

I've always loved Macy Gray's really raspy, soulful voice. A lot soul singers really draw from those big, gospel voices and Macy's is just so....different sounding since it's so thin and has such a unique tone.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Tamiko Jones

45-tamikojones%5B1%5D.jpg

tamiko-jones.jpg

Timiko Jones began her recording career in 1963 on the Checker label with the song "Is It A Sin". Then she moved to the Atco label in 1964, changed her name to Tamiko, and recorded "Rhapsody". In 1966, Tamiko joined Golden World records and recorded "Spellbound". Later in 1966, Tamiko got a break, she joined Atlantic records and saw some succes with her 1967 releases of "The Sidewinder" and "Daytripper".

Is It A Sin

The Sidewinder

She released her first album in 1968 "I'll Be Anything For You" on A&M Records, which featured the song "Ya Ya".

114664635.jpg

Ya Ya

Tamiko went on to record an album with Herbie Mann "A Mann and A Woman" (1967), a Self-Titled album, the "Love Trip" album (1975), the "Cloudy" album (1977), and several singles before calling it quits in 1986. Tamiko's "Love Trip" album had a hit with her cover of Johnny Bristol's song "Touch Me Baby" and she got noticed for her cover of Stevie Wonder's "Creepin".

7469.JPG

Touch Me Baby

Creepin

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Judy Clay & Billy Vera

BVJudyClaypubphoto%252520larger.jpg

judy.jpg

This duo made music history in the late 60’s, not through their music but through the fact they were the first interracial duo to ever record music together. Billy Vera was a fairly successful songwriter from New York and brought his recording idea (Storybook Children) to Atlantic Record executive, Jerry Wexler. Billy Vera was eventually teamed up with Judy Clay, who had an extensive background in gospel music and had made a few soul singles in the early 60’s, and they recorded “Storybook Children” . This album is about love, romance, and adultery but failed to have any success.

This duo split ways after recording the Storybook Children album and Judy Clay went on to record with William Bell for Stax Records where she had some success and also several singles before calling it quits as a singer. Billy Vera continued to write songs and has been a songwriter for Warner Brothers and did some minor acting roles and still continues to perform with a club-circuit band called “The Beaters”.

Country Girl-City Man, off the Storybook Children Album

Private Number, Judy Clay’s biggest hit, ft. William Bell

My Baby Specializes, ft. William Bell

Bed Of Roses, Judy Clay solo

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online