Soul Sisters

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
In this thread I will begin listing some of the greatest (and sometimes rarest) female's in music from the 50's through the 70's and beyond.

Fascinations.jpg

fascinations_1_copie.gif

The Fascinations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The group's origins can be traced back to Martha Reeves (later of the Vandellas) who left the group rather early due to some disagreements.

Curtis Mayfield got these girls signed to ABC-Paramount and they released several singles. ABC-Paramount dropped them because of poor sales. In 1966, Mayfield signed them to his label, and they released 5 singles, 3 of which made it into the US R & B charts. The Fascinations disbanded in 1969, when Curtis Mayfield did not resign the girls contract.

Girls Are Out To Get You

You'll Be Sorry

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
142798.jpg

142481.jpg

honeycone.jpg

Honey Cone was a Los Angeles based vocal trio, who have their roots with "The Girlfriends" and "Ikettes". They were discovered by Eddie Holland in 1966 and signed to the Hot Wax Label. These girls enjoyed a string of hits on the R & B Charts in the late 60's and early 70's. Honey Cone split in 1972, and soon after the Hot Wax label folded.

Honey Cone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Want Ads

Stick Up

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Front.jpg

The Fuzz were three ladies from Washington, DC. These talented ladies released a couple singles on Path Records and Uni Records, before being picked up by Calla Records in 1971. The Fuzz made a daring album move by making their debut album a concept album which compares love to the 4 seasons. They broke up in 1972, not long after the debut.

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/p17767

I Love You For All Seasons *Side A*

I Love Your For All Seasons *Side B* (a beautiful instrumental written by Sheila Young)

Like An Open Door

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
I bet LiL would be a huge fan of this thread. I know she's really into the Ronettes.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
8017.jpg

Nella_edited.jpg

Nella Dodds, a rare and often forgotten voice of the 60's. Nella emerged from an R & B scene of Philadelphia, PA and was signed to Wand Music Label of New York in 1964, where she released 6 singles. Nella soon gave up on her music career in favor of a family. Nella's biggest hit was her debut "Come See About Me". This debut was over-shadowed by the release of the same song by the Supremes in 1964 which was promoted by Motown. She also had some success with the follow-up song "Finders Keepers, Losers Weepers".

Nella Dodds | AllMusic

Get Your Love Back

Come See About Me

You Don't Love Me Anymore *B side to Come See About Me*

Finders Keepers, Losers Weepers

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
Wonderful thread Magic! I'm looking forward to more female artists posted here. I'm familiar with most of them so far, but had never heard Honey Cone before.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Theola Kilgore

57853.jpg

KilgoreTheola.gif

Theola Kilgore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://www.artistdirect.com/artist/bio/theola-kilgore/592938

Theola Kilgore, who was first billed as Theola Kilgord, released several singles from 1960-1966. Theola is another forgotten female singer. Her early career was rooted in gospel music, and she was befriended by Sam Cooke's manager, J. W. Alexander, who got her a recording deal with Candix Records. Her first recording was "'The Sound of My Man (Working on a Chain Gang)", which was a reply to Sam Cooke's "Chain Gang". Theola was connected to Ed Townsend, whom was a songwriter and these two formed KT Records (Kilgore/Townsend Records) where Theola released several singles that never managed to make it to the charts. Then Theola moved on to Mercury Records, where she also failed to have much success.

The Sound of My Man (Working on the Chain Gang)

The Love of My Man, her biggest hit

He's Coming Back To Me

It's Gonna Be Alright

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online