Silly Question

ChibiGeeBee

One Spoony Bard
Reaction score
Don't laugh-

What is Folk, anyways (not to mention Celtic)? I've looked around, and never found an answer that satisfies.

And there you go, my stupid question of the day. :bonk:

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Well for starters, folk is quite possibly the most enjoyable form of none rock music (unless we get into folk rock, which would then be half rock music). :D

Much like alternative rock I usually just know folk when I hear it but a better definition would be for many hundreds of years folk music has been the music of the working class (something of a "punk rock" counterpart to classical music if you will). It's a very lyrically and vocally focused form of music that is backed by acoustic instruments and it's not uncommon for there to be little to no percussion (and unless in some more modern form, will completely lack a formal drummer). That's very loosely how I define folk.

Celtic music is basically just Ireland and Scotland's brand of folk. Instruments such as the bagpipes and various flutes are more prominent in Celtic music than other forms of folk. Also traditional Celtic music typically would pertain to mysticism and similar themes, nowadays however Celtic music has grown to be widely associated with drinking.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The best examples I can come up with for "folk" would be Bob Dylan, John Denver, Jim Croce, or Joan Baez. Acoustic guitar and extremely poetic lyrics. Folk lyrics tend to be inspirational, kind of the "music soup for the soul".

Folk music is not my strong point. :)

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
The best examples I can come up with for "folk" would be Bob Dylan, John Denver, Jim Croce, or Joan Baez. Acoustic guitar and extremely poetic lyrics. Folk lyrics tend to be inspirational, kind of the "music soup for the soul".

Bob Dylan is definitely someone who comes to mind when I think of folk. Also Donovan and Simon & Garfunkel are front runners in folk from that era.

Celtic Metal and Pagan Metal are REALLY awesome...:grinthumb

Totally. :****:

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score
In its basic form, folk music is traditional songs passed on by performance more so than recordings (mainly because recording didn't exist back then), usually on acoustic instruments indigenous to particular places and peoples, and springing from a common heritage of balladry and traveling minstrels, usually on subjects topical to the times, whether that was love or other more material matters. Ethnic divisions within folk music were distinct and varied, with each geographic area developing instruments, sounds and style unique to those places, many of which melded in later years as people traveled greater distances and were exposed to many varied influences.

Folk music as we have come to know it commercially is based on these old forms and styles, but with subject matter branching frequently into the political or socio-economic realm. It reached its height of popularity during the Great Folk Scare of the 1950s and 1960s, only to come to a crashing end when Dylan went electric. ;)

Seriously though, folk music has continued to live on in modern times through reinterpretation by artists all over the globe, incorporating folk motifs and instrumentation in more modern settings. I like to think it has a common appeal for most of us, as it tugs at those "mystic chords of memory" Lincoln spoke about, and that we share in our ancestral DNA. It's music from, and about, our roots.

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online

Members online