Shakti w/ John McLaughlin-Natural Elements

joe

Reaction score
shakti_mc_laughlin02.jpg

Being a big fan of Mahivishnu Orchestra, legendary British jazz guitarist John McLaughlin explores Indo-prog/Raga rock with this project. Somewhat of a progressive jazz which includes a great variety of instruments from Indian classical music. A beautiful blend of modern European jazz and traditional Indian music. One must have an open mind to listen to this and is a great introduction and representation of this sub-genre.

artwork.jpg

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I saw that album a couple of days ago, I was tempted as soon as I saw John's name, and I like the Sitar/Tabla music from India.

Open mind is right, but one thing has never changed in my experience, great music is made all over the world all you have to do is look for it.

joe

Reaction score
It's hard to find raga with the fusion of prog. This one of the few I have found.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
You are right about that, but there are some prog fanatics out there that keep these albums in circulation...and I am glad they do.

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
Big shakti fan I've got all three albums. Saw them in 1977 and was blown away. High energy, positive feelings, strong emotional music. I also saw and have the remembering shakti album from the 90's. I always quote these albums when some music snob tells me prog or fusion is cold, lacks emotion and has no fun factor. These guys are always laughing and having fun even though they all sit on the ground.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Not so sure how opened minded you have to be as it not that out there at all, IMO. None the less interesting and enjoyable. I like it :grinthumb

It's not playing very loud on my computer even though I'm blasting it so I can't make out much of the rhythm other then the drumming gonna have to DL to give a better ear.

Dr.Eam Infidel

Reaction score
This is one of the greatest bands to ever walk on Earth, and its one of those bands who sets a precedent that all others can only aspire to. Although the percussion section of this band is two people, they play like they are one. In fact they are more one than a lot of married couples I know. None of this would ever have happened at all if it hadn't been for British guitar player John McGlaughlin. One of the most ignored musical geniuses of our time. When in fact he is really the mother of all modern day guitar players. His first band Mahavishnu Orchestra literally became a genre unto themselves and turned the entire music industry upside down with their thundering arrival. And fusion was born.<p>

</brdzuk4k.jpg>

And Global music as we know it today did not exist before Shakti, and also owes its existence to the man who once gave Jimi Hendrix guitar lessons. That's John McGlaughlin. Imagine that.
side note. I made that animation for the fellow who wrote the book about Mahavishnu Orchestra. "POWER PASSION AND BEAUTY" By Walter Koloski.

@Joe. I regret that its fallen on me to be the one to inform you that youtube has disabled all these vids...

Last edited:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online