Rock 'n' Roll Trivia

Slick

Reaction score
Smokin'! Now, if I may...

Who was supposedly lined up to replace Ian Gillan in Deep Purple during 1989, but was rejected after getting into a physical altercation (i.e. decking) with Ritchie Blackmore?

I believe that would be Randy Savage. The Macho Man himself.

billyporter

Reaction score
this has maybe been done before, i had a quick look and didn't see this though, so i'll start the thread.
interesting rock trivia that you may have.

in another post, i mentioned that jimmy page once asked terry reid and bj wilson to be the original singer and drummer for a band he was putting together. led zeppelin!

after bon scott died noddy holder from slade was asked whether he'd be interested in the vacant job.

i couldn't imagine noddy fronting ac/dc. for a start he plays guitar and the band may of wanted him to ditch the axe and only to be the singer.
also his songwriting is so different. i like ac/dc[the bon era] but lets be honest, they do not vary their style too much..[which is what i like about them.] noddy would of felt very restrained and bored i think. had the right voice of course.
probably too tall as well.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Went ahead and used your post as a thread bump here billy! :grinthumb

Cool trivia...here ya can post more or play along with some of the other questions.

:cheers2

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
this has maybe been done before, i had a quick look and didn't see this though, so i'll start the thread.
interesting rock trivia that you may have.

after bon scott died noddy holder from slade was asked whether he'd be interested in the vacant job.

That's the first time I've heard that - interesting! I bet Noddy wouldn't have done too shabby a job of it either and would've slotted in better than you imagine :grinthumb

billyporter

Reaction score
i only just found this out to be true very recently in an interview with noddy. as a matter of fact, for years i used to wonder why noddy hadn't been approached by ac/dc after bon died. i just felt he had the voice for it.
i had no idea that he had actually been asked til the interview.

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
Yeah I agree he definitely had the voice - always loved Noddy's voice :grinthumb
I wonder if he ever had any regrets about turning it down...

billyporter

Reaction score
i recall reading an english newspaper article last year that said scientists from an english university found that 'we are the champions' was the catchiest song of all-time.

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
60s British band Paper Lace released the song 'Billy Don't Be A Hero', in March of 1977, where it went to #1 on the UK Singles chart.

They planned to release it in the States, but Bo Donaldson &The Heywoods beat them to it. (Don't know how it happened, though. I would think there'd have been some sort of infringement thing or something, but I guess not.)

In June of 1974, it hit #1 on the US Billboard Hot 100.

So, you have the same song hit #1 twice, with different bands on different continents.

How's that for trivial?

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nowiknowitsJAG

Members online