RIP Kevin Ayers

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Kevin Ayers, a founding member of Soft Machine and a key figure in the Canterbury scene, has died aged 68. All I know so far is that he died in his sleep at his home in France. I first took notice of him on The Confessions of Dr Dream album (1974), which featured Ollie Halsall. Sweet Deceiver and Yes, We Have No Mananas were even better (imo). He appears to have been a character, as the story of his relationship with John Cale during the recording of the June 1, 1974 album testifies. Ayers had squandered the advance for his next album, so Cale organised the June 1, 1974 concert, at the Rainbow, in order to raise funds. Ayers showed his gratitude by sleeping with Cale's wife on the night before the show.

BBC News - Soft Machine founder Kevin Ayers dies

June 1, 1974 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
OMG This is terrible news such a talented musician :rip: another legend has gone from our sight but not from our minds and ears.

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
RIP Kevin. Been a big fan of Soft machine since the mid 70's. Kevin also had a bunch of great solo albums. Big Ears yeap I love June 1, 1974, didn't hear about him Sleeping with Cale's wife until a few years ago.

Saw Kevin play with Daevid Allen for a few songs back in 2002
3070214578_fc4b29c9bb_z.jpg

Love this 60's Soft Machine. Classic Ayers/Wyatt and Mike Ratledge

architect

Supine In The Sunshine
Reaction score
Love Kevin Ayers! So sad to hear of his passing. He was such a brilliant songwriter with the most distinctive voice. Here's a great obit:

Kevin Ayers obituary | Music | The Guardian

I love this quote from journalist Nick Kent: "Kevin Ayers and Syd Barrett were the two most important people in British pop music. Everything that came after came from them."

I'd agree with that. :D

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FernandoRu

Staff online

Members online