Popular artist you can't stand

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
OK, whatever the heat is all about in this debate, which I missed and have no interest in except to say to ILJP, hey, I LOVE Coldplay too!!

Now I assume that there is nobody here who likes this...

I'm trying to think of an artist who has deteriorated so far during his career to the point where he is so Goddam awful that all there is left to do realistically is just to laugh at him. It may not be quite so bad if he could even sing in tune, but that's become too much of a stretch for him too. There's a whole album of this vomiting elevator muzak by him currently riding high in the Billboard charts,

Rod-Stewart-Merry-Christmas-Baby-2012-Album-Tracklist.jpg

...and this is the same guy who gave the world 'Pool Hall Richard', 'Stay With Me' and once lead one of the best rock n roll bands of all time (The Faces)...now he's become like a skinny Liberace/Barry Manilow tribute act, singing songs for old ladies who take their knitting to gigs with them.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
It's not Rod's fault he can make WAY more money putting on shows like Barry Manilow. :tongue: I like Rod well enough. I haven't listened to anything he's put out in a long time and that is probably just proving your point TS. I don't hold it against him though. If singing a show of ballads with Maggie May and "Da Ya Think I'm Sexy?" thrown in there can double the price of his tickets then it's not a bad financial move. I'm sure the term "sell out" could be applied here but it's not like Rod doing a Christmas album came out of the blue like Scott Weiland's did.

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
It's not Rod's fault he can make WAY more money putting on shows like Barry Manilow. :tongue: I like Rod well enough. I haven't listened to anything he's put out in a long time and that is probably just proving your point TS. I don't hold it against him though. If singing a show of ballads with Maggie May and "Da Ya Think I'm Sexy?" thrown in there can double the price of his tickets then it's not a bad financial move. I'm sure the term "sell out" could be applied here but it's not like Rod doing a Christmas album came out of the blue like Scott Weiland's did.

Hi CH, well I believe he is worth around $200,000,000...so if he's performing like a cabaret/karaoke singer at an old age pensioner's nursing home simply to squeeze out a few extra bucks from the over 80's and Johnny Mathis fan-base demographic, then it just makes my original point even more valid.

He's now 67 years old, but even at that age it's quite easy to grow old gracefully and to maintain an element of artistic integrity, and with your hard earned reputation still in tact, and yet still continue to accumulate an incredible fortune in the process, as the likes of the Stones, Bowie, Springsteen, Paul McCartney, Bob Seger, Paul Simon, John Fogerty and others continue to prove. Rod continues to just bland-out yet again, to think that he could have reunited with Faces for 2010, done a rock n' roll album, and toured with them, instead he takes the commercial as opposed to artistic option, everything he does is just another nail in the coffin of one of the greatest artists the UK ever produced....when he used to do this....

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LongIshmael

Members online