Otis Redding (Official Thread)

Sunny

Settled down at last and very happy.
Reaction score
otisatwhiskey66-1-th.jpg

Official Website

Pain in My Heart (1964)
The Great Otis Redding Sings Soul Ballads (1965)
Otis Blue: Otis Redding Sings Soul (1965)
The Soul Album (1966)
Complete & Unbelievable: The Otis Redding Dictionary of Soul (1966)
King & Queen (1967)

Otis Redding is one of my all time favourite singers and I think he deserves a thread :grinthumb

Last edited by a moderator:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Re: Otis Redding

Great idea for a thread Sunny! I have a fondness for old soul music and for me it holds up really well in that nothing has stay true to or matched being real soul music since the greats of Otis and my personal favorites Marvin, Withers, Stevie, Cooke and Ray! I recently bought some Otis and while he's not at the very top of this genre for me he's still a great! The performance in your last clip was full of emotion and was a great live performance! :grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I have a really good compilation album of his, bought it for his biggest hit song but was pleasantly surprised by the range he has.

He was also a legendary performer live, he would get the joint "Shakin'..." every time.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

O.K., I just delved back into my Otis compilation to listen to "Try A Little Tenderness" after being addicted to the Kanye West/Jay-Z collab "Otis"! Hey, Hey, the end justifies the means! The track was filled with a lot of soul and was teasing the bounce that the rappers gave it. Prime material right there and it has me revisiting my compilation! I love old soul greats! :grinthumb

Try A Little Tenderness

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score

An incredible singer and performer. It's a shame he was taken away so young (26 years old) and he didn't live to see Sittin' On The Dock of the Bay become his biggest hit.

His live performance at the Monterey Pop Festival is incendiary and should not be missed. There are a couple versions on youtube, but they appear to be duped from TV broadcasts, so I didn't want to post them. Check out the DVD if you can!

Some (but not all!) of my favorites!

Satisfaction Live 1966 European Tour

Glory Of Love

That's How Strong My Love Is

and one of my favorite "dis" songs...Tramp with the wonderful Carla Thomas

Last edited by a moderator:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^Nice to see another fan of his in the house Phil and it was a tragic loss when he died so young.

When I was reading up on him a few years back all of his peers had the utmost respect for him as a live performer, many of them didn't Want to follow him because he put on such a great show.

Think I'll dig out my CD and play it later tonight, I'm in a retro mood today.

JerseyGirl

Reaction score

Try A Little Tenderness is one of my all time favorite songs.:grinthumb

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

O.K., I just delved back into my Otis compilation to listen to "Try A Little Tenderness" after being addicted to the Kanye West/Jay-Z collab "Otis"! Hey, Hey, the end justifies the means! The track was filled with a lot of soul and was teasing the bounce that the rappers gave it. Prime material right there and it has me revisiting my compilation! I love old soul greats! :grinthumb

Try A Little Tenderness

I know the song you're talking about Sooty and I was soooooo bothered by that sample. I heard them perform it at the VMAs and it just kept looping the part before Otis tears into the big finale of the song. It just kept taunting me don't like being taunting. :mad

:heheh:

Mr. Bob Dobolina

Reaction score

I love Otis Redding. "I've Been Loving You Too Long (to Stop Now)" is one of my all-time faves. I also love "I Can't Turn You Loose" or, as my best friend calls it, "The Blues Brothers Theme". Man, I've gotta get some new friends.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online