Niacin: A Progressive Power Trio

joe

Reaction score
Niacin was somewhat of progressive 'supergroup' consisting of bassist virtuoso/shredder Billy Sheehan who played with David Lee Roth and Mr. Big. Drummer Dennis Chambers had played with a whole host of other artists including Steely Dan, Santana, and Parliament/Funkadelic. John Novello is a wizard on the Hammond B3.

A fusion of jazz, funk, hard rock of the 70's, blues and even some R&B. A modern day ELP comparison wouldn't be too far out. Like ELP, Niacin doesn't incorporate a guitarist and by no means that doesn't mean they don't rock!

Thier first two albums: Niacin(1996) and High Bias(1998) aren't as well diverse and defined as later albums, none the less, still very high musicianship. The band switched labels to the prog/metal speciality Magna Carta and released Deep in 2000 with a guest appearence by Glenn Hughs who contributes his vocals to one song.

After releasing a live album, Niacin jacks it up to a high energy fast fusion on Time Crunch, absolutely powerful. The band does a cover of Jan Hammer's Blue Wind which is reminiscent of Atomic Rooster. Wow! Organik from 2005 is mind blowing, jagged and stunning. Billy Sheehan's bass playing is insane. This stuff sizzles!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
They sound right up my alley Joe, UK is another band that didn't have lead guitar on one of their albums, bass, keyboards and drums so that is always interesting to me.

I'll have to check this band out.

Best album to start with...?

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
I listened to "Barbarian @ The Gate" and all I can say is WOW! This is some pretty intense stuff, and I'll definitely be checking out some more later on :grinthumb

joe

Reaction score
They sound right up my alley Joe, UK is another band that didn't have lead guitar on one of their albums, bass, keyboards and drums so that is always interesting to me.

I'll have to check this band out.

Best album to start with...?

Hi LG,

I'd recommend either Time Crunch or Organik.:grinthumb

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
WOW! This stuff is off the hook!! :grinthumb

I'm glad to see and hear this. Nice to show others that don't appreciate hair metal (in this case Billy being with DLR and Mr. Big) that musicians in any genre are usually well rounded and open to (and enjoy) may things musically.

Sheehan has always been a helluva bassist!

There's a time to be complex and a time to be pop and sell a few records.....being a lover of both ends I appreciated this and enjoyed it very much!!

:cheers2

joe

Reaction score
^^^Glad you guys enjoyed it:) It's surprising at times when a musician goes out his/hers 'comfort' zone and actually pulls it off. No question, Billy Sheehan is the perfect example.

Harkat

Reaction score
wow, that was a blast o.o
surprisingly good

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FernandoRu

Staff online