National Health (Official Thread)

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
Another band I am currently listening to, thanks to Wikipedia for dates and some info.

National Health were a progressive rock band associated with the Canterbury scene and were Founded in 1975, the band included members of keyboardist Dave Stewart's band Hatfield and the North and Alan Gowen's band Gilgamesh, the band also included guitarists Phil Miller and Phil Lee and bassist Mont Campbell as original members.

The band were named after Stewart's National Health glasses. Bill Bruford (previously of Yes and King Crimson) was the initial drummer but was soon replaced by Pip Pyle. Campbell was replaced by Neil Murray and then John Greaves.

A frequently changing lineup, toured extensively and released their first album, National Health in 1977. Although it was created during the rise of Punk, the album is characterized by lengthy, mostly instrumental compositions. Their second record Of Queues and Cures, which included Peter Blegvad (recitation on "Squarer For Maud") and Georgie Born (cello), is currently held as the fourth best record ever (of 53,000 candidate records) on the Gnosis website. After the May 1981 death of Gowen, remaining members reconvened to record the album D.S. Al Coda, a set of compositions by Gowen, most previously unrecorded.

The original albums and additional archival material have subsequently been released on CD on the Esoteric label that re-issues a lot of progressive music.

The intro of National Health's 'Binoculars' was used as a sample on American rock band Deftones' Black Moon.

This lengthy tune called "Elephants" is from their eponymously titled album.

This ia also from the same album

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: National Health

I'm not sure what that means Sweaty...?

You mean National Health's album is rated as the 4th best in history or just prog rock?

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score

It was voted for on the Gnosis website, which is a website devoted to music from the past, present and furture, so it is not an official pole as such if you know what I mean:)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Okay thanks, I have never heard of "Gnosis" before.

I am intrigued so I'll put that album on my list right now.

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score

Yeah I had to as soon as I heard some of the tracks, there are a lot of websites out there with their own poles and stuff. I personaly find it hard to vote for my best album in whatever catagory as they change from one moment to the next.

As for the "Gnosis" website, very strange, you can make donations and stuff, mmm sounds rather like the old days with "The Enid" where you donated to the band to help them evolve, keep out the bootleggers and continue.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online