My Dying Bride (Official Thread)

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
untitled2.png

My Dying Bride Official Website

MY DYING BRIDE are a classy doom metal band with gothic influences. They have been around quite some time and have made lots of recordings including 10 studio albums.
The Ist time I heard them was the debut album"as the flame withers" and I wrongly dismissed them at the time as poor PARADISE LOST imitators. Liked the guitars and general sound but put off by ahem....the style of vocals[ you know what I mean]
That was to change when in 1996 MY DYING BRIDE released a corker of an album "like gods of the sun".....with inspired clean vocals.
One song blew me away....it was so perfect !! :bow:
MY DYING BRIDEs use of orchestration ,haunting keyboards,piano and in this case the use of a violin.....brings a tear to my eye :wa its THAT POWERFUL!!!!!! So Gothic ! So Shakespearean !! So emotional! So haunting !!

Albums:

As the Flower Withers (1992)
Turn Loose the Swans (1993)
The Angel and the Dark River (1995)
Like Gods of the Sun (1996)
34.788%...Complete (1998)
The Light at the End of the World (1999)
The Dreadful Hours (2001)
Songs of Darkness, Words of Light (2004)
A Line of Deathless Kings (2006)
For Lies I Sire (2009)
Evinta (2011)
A Map of All Our Failures (2012)
Feel the Misery (2015)

The song "for my fallen angel "

Last edited by a moderator:

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Re: My Dying Bride

I Cannot Be Loved

More brilliant tracks by the dark and solemn MY DYING BRIDE ..

Attachments

• img_1_th.jpg
    img_1_th.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I have 5 or 6 Paradise Lost albums LOU, so I'll check these guys out later when I have more time.:cheers2

b.o.b.

Reaction score

Big My Dying Bride fan here :bow:. I have all their albums. My first was Turn Loose The Swans back in 1993. I was blown away by Sear Me MCMXCIII.

649.jpg

Sear Me MCMXCIII

Aaron Stainthorpe's lyrics are very good for a metal band very close to real poetry.

Another great album for me is The Angel and the Dark River from 2006.

2114.jpg

I had the privilege to see them live in 2007 at Artmania Fest in Sibiu, Romania. It was a hell of a concert with perfect sound and a real doomy atmosphere.

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

Thanks for your recomendations b.o.b :cheers2....I really have neglected this band for some reason over the years....they are pure quality.I have got to get their albums,good to see a return of the violin on recent recordings. I think it really adds to their sound.:grinthumb

b.o.b.

Reaction score

Thanks for your recomendations b.o.b :cheers2....I really have neglected this band for some reason over the years....they are pure quality.I have got to get their albums,good to see a return of the violin on recent recordings. I think it really adds to their sound.:grinthumb

I indeed missed the violin on the albums from the 2000s. For Lies I Sire is the first album since Like Gods of the Sun with violin.

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

More splendid tracks by doom merchants MY DYING BRIDE .:cheers2
The song " Some velvet morning " was originally done by Nancy Sinatra [ I think ]. Other bands have covered it well VANILLA FUDGE , THIN WHITE ROPE [ :grinthumb]....even PRIMAL SCREAM + Kate Moss had a go

b.o.b.

Reaction score

Great cover version. The song appears on 2001 Meisterwerk II compilation album.

And some news:

"...the U.K. doom legends now present their latest chapter in the form of new EP, "The Barghest O' Whitby", to be released November 7 through Peaceville Records on CD and limited vinyl.

This single track, 25-minute epic represents the epitome of poetic grace and funeral soundscapes from one of gothic doom's most celebrated acts. With a masterful blend of pounding guitar riffs and sombre atmospheric passages, MY DYING BRIDE embarks on a chilling journey through superstition and folklore."

I can hardly wait. :bounce:

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

The Barghest o Whitby is a surprise release as it goes back to their earlier doom period MY DYING BRIDE with growly vocals.
The 2011 box set album release "Evinta" meanwhile is in dark ambient territory ....re=works of songs with use of string ensembles/keyboards/timpani drums etc.......no guitars and Aarons vocal style, poetic almost narrative. I feel this album will grow on me...
Also I have to put up MY DYING BRIDEs version to SWANS "Failure"......2 doomtastic bands :grinthumb:bow:

Failure

Harkat

Reaction score

I recently stumbled upon these guys. I have only listened to 34.788% ... Complete but I have grown to really enjoy it.
my-dying-bride-34788complete-front-cover-42180.jpg

The Whore, The Cock and the Mother

Der Überlebende

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online