Mott the Hoople: The Unsung Champions of the 1970's

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

Mott the Hoople's origins can be traced backed to the early 60's with the bands The Buddies and The Soulents. The two groups eventually combined into The Doc Thomas Group and released a self titled album with an Italian recording company.
The group caught the attention of Guy Stevens at Island Records who loved the band, but hated their current vocalist Stan Tippins. Stevens had read a book titled "Mott the Hoople" while in prison and had been looking for a band that could match the name. The book was about an eccentric who worked in a circus sideshow.
in 1969 ads were put out for Tippins' replacement that read "Singer wanted, must be image-minded and hungry". This brought in Ian Hunter who became the group's new singer, pianist, and occasional guitarist, and with Hunter's inclusion Stevens convinced the band, now known as Silence, to reluctantly change their name to "Mott The Hoople".
Their self titled debut was released the following week and became an underground success. It's followup "Mad Shadows" was very hastily put together for a garage rock like sound and has a now infamously squeaky kick drum that is impossible to ignore once one notices it's there. Their third album "Wildlife" continued Mott The Hoople's downhill fall with an over the top hippie sound that came a few years too late. Their forth album "Brain Capers" was an attempt to return to the hard rock sound of their first album, but it went largely unnoticed. Mott The Hoople was on the verge of breaking up from poor receptions from critics and the public.
David Bowie had been a fan of Mott The Hoople for years and after hearing that they were about to split. Bowie convinced the band to stay together and offered to write them a hit single. Originally Bowie planned to give them "Suffragette City" (what would later become one of his most famous songs and would be released a year later on "Ziggy Stardust"), but the band turned it down. Bowie also played "All The Young Dudes" for them and the band agreed to record it. With original singer Stan Tippins on backing vocals the song went on to become Mott The Hoople's biggest hit, the title track on their breakthrough album, and their signature song. Mere months after the release of the "All The Young Dudes" album Mott The Hoople was going to record another David Bowie written song "Drive-In Saturday" (which would later appear on Bowie's "Aladdin Sane"), but Bowie apparently was dissatisfied with their take on it and ended their relationship.
Their next album "Mott" used the glam rock craze as a springboard and would become their highest charting album that yielded two hit singles "Honaloochie Boogie" and "All the Way from Memphis".
"The Hoople" and "Live" continued their success but issues within the band resurfaced and there were many problems that were only getting worse with their success.
In 1974 Mott The Hoople toured the US for the last time with a then up-and-coming band known as Queen as their opening act. This started a longstanding friendship between the two bands and their members with some best examples being Mott The Hoople being referance in the popular Queen song "Now I'm Here", with the three vocalists of Queen singing backup vocals on "You Nearly Did Me In" of Ian Hunter's solo career, and with Ian Hunter being personally invited to play at the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert years after he left the mainstream public's eye.
I late '74 Mott The Hoople released "(Do You Remember) The Saturday Gigs" as a single and the song would prove to be the last studio recording ever released by the band before Ian Hunter left.
Following Hunter's departure the band briefly soldiered on as simply "Mott", but without Hunter at the helm their popularity greatly waned and they disbanded in 1976.
Ian Hunter went on to have a long running solo career that has gathered a small, yet loyal fanbase. Many of his solo albums have garnered quite favorable critical responses, but much less commercial success. He has explored many different musical styles since leaving Mott The Hoople.
In January 2009 Mott The Hoople announced that they would be reuniting with all original members for two shows in London. The shows sold out almost instantly and several extra dates were added. The shows gained very favorable reviews and the enthusiasm with which concert goers bought tickets just goes to show that Mott The Hoople may often be forgotten but they are still loved.

Discography:

Mott the Hoople (1969)
Mad Shadows (1970)
Wildlife (1971)
Brain Capers (1971)
All the Young Dudes (1972)
Mott (1973)
The Hoople (1974)

Mott Albums:

Drive On (1975)
Shouting and Pointing (1976)

Last edited by a moderator:

rtbuck

Reaction score
Great write up Cosmic. I'm a big fan of Mott the Hoople & Ian Hunter's solo career but god I thought Nigel Benjamin's vocals were awful on the 2 records that followed Hunter's departure. Anyway,I love all of those Mott the Hoople albums especially the Rock & Roll Queen album & especially that awesome instrumental of "You Really Got Me".There are so many great tunes out there by them "Roll Away the Stone", "Rock & Roll Queen","All the Way From Memphis","Drivin' Sister","All the Young Dudes","Sucker","Crash Street Kids","Marionette", & my favorite "Ready for Love"(which in my opinion blows away the Bad Co. version. I like Bad Co. but can't listen to their version). I would've loved to have seen their tour in 1973 as they played in my town with the NY Dolls & Aerosmith. This show did have one wild part during the Dolls who co headlined(Aerosmith opened).It was in October & their were Jaco-lanterns on the drum kit. Guitarist Johnny Thunders who was a bit out of it played facing drummer Jerry Nolan most of the evening with his back toward the crowd. He picked upa pumpkin spun around,let go,& splat on singer David Johansen's head knocking him out.
I was fortunate to see Ian Hunter a couple of times in the early/mid'80's & that guy is amazing. I have all of his solo albums but the one's recorded with Mick Ronson in his band are my favorites.

rtbuck

Reaction score
By the way I picked up a book yesterday called "Your Pretty Face Has Gone to Hell". It just came out & is mainly about Lou Reed(Velvet Undergound also), Iggy Pop(Stooges also) & David Bowie but there is at least 15 Pages about Mott the Hoople

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Very well done Cosmic. I don't know much about Mott...I do have 2 or 3 Ian Hunter solo albums somewhere though...have to look into the vault and see which ones.

Reaction score
Very nice Cosmic;)

I actually have a Mott the Hoople record, but have not played it in a very long time....tonight or tomorrow night it will have it's spin:D

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
"All the Young Dudes" and "Ready for Love" are both fabulous Mott the Hoople tracks. In fact, the whole "All the Young Dudes" album is great.

:rock:

Odysseus

Kustom Kartilage
Reaction score
Nice read Cosmic. I agree x2 about Mott's Ready For Love over Bad Co's rtbuck.:cheers: I consider All The Young Dudes an essential classic rock album.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Thank you everyone.

Here is a very overlooked fave of mine. "Sea Diver".

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

35 years later...

09mott_the_hoople1.jpg

As I said at the end of the opening post, Mott The Hoople had a small string of reunion concerts late last year and at those concerts they played a song that is a favorite of mine in their catalog that they'd never played live before. "(Do You Remember) The Saturday Gigs" was the final song ever recorded by Mott The Hoople and it was a song that spanned their entire career from 1969 to 1974 when they broke up with the song ending with many "Goodbye"s that capped off their time with class. Because it was the conclusion to their career it was never played live until 35 years later at each of the reunion concerts and at the final concert it was the appropriately the closing number. Here is "Saturday Gigs" at that final concert...

It's so amazing that the whole crowd is singing along word for word.

rtbuck

Reaction score
^^^^^That is a great tune Cosmic, I have it on the anthology double CD. I wish I could hear this live version but my computer is still getting repaired & all I have is an old lap top with no sound

Mott the Hoople is phenomenal & I still think they should've been much bigger here in the states. Even Hunter's solo career should have had been much more successful. I can't understand why it wasn't. I couldn't understand why he was only playing in a club when I seen him in '81 because songs like "Just Another Night", "Cleveland Rocks", & "We Gotta Get out of Here" recieved a good amount of airplay around Buffalo & the club sold out. It was agreat show especially with Ronson on guitar. I seen him a few years later without Ronno & Hunter still rocked the Place

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online