Motley Crue Fans, help needed.....

Erikk_Marz

Reaction score
I play guitar in a Motley Crue tribute band, and we need to settle some disagreements.

Below is a short survey, only 4 questions. Any participation is greatly appreciated. Simply respond with the question number, and the letter of your answer. Thanks.....

1. Between the following 2 albums, my preference would be;

A. Too Fast For Love
B. Theatre Of Pain

2. If you go to see a Motley Crue tribute band at a bar, Would you like to hear "Without You?"

A. Yes
B. No
C. Doesn't matter

3. If you go to see a Motley Crue tribute band at a bar, would you rather see the guitar player;

A. Imitate current, gothic Mick Mars
B. Imitate Mick in an older school way, such as the "Girls....." or "Dr. Feelgood" era.

4. If you go to see a Motley Crue tribute band at a bar, do you expect to see a very animated, vocal drummer?

A. Yes, Tommy is practically the voice of Motley Crue.
B. It doesn't matter as long as the band and show are both good.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
(1) Between the following 2 albums, my preference would be;

A. Too Fast For Love
B. Theatre Of Pain

===========================

(2) If you go to see a Motley Crue tribute band at a bar, Would you like to hear "Without You?"

A. Yes
B. No
C. Doesn't matter

(3) If you go to see a Motley Crue tribute band at a bar, would you rather see the guitar player;

B. Imitate Mick in an older school way, such as the "Girls....." or "Dr. Feelgood" era.

(4) If you go to see a Motley Crue tribute band at a bar, do you expect to see a very animated, vocal drummer?

B. It doesn't matter as long as the band and show are both good

If I could comment just a tad, I'd like to say that I saw Motley Crue multiple times spanning 4 albums in the 80's: Shout, Theater, Girls and Dr Feelgood. They ALWAYS put on a good show. I think that Tommy is quite animated, but I definitely wouldn't say he is the 'voice' of the Crue. his drum solos were always a blast to watch because of the riser setups he had with his drum kits. I'm not sure how much a tribute band could get into that, but it certainly isn't the whole reason to see a MC tribute band. Cool if you can, but steady/solid drumming with some flair is most important.

As for Without You, it was an MTV hit at the time, but I don't think it's any sort of make or break point for a tribute band. If you play it, cool. If not, it won't be missed in the manner that many of their other rockin' hit tracks would be. JM2CW. I think if you are really trying for a lot of Dr Feelgood era Motley, then yeah, you it would probably really be a good idea to throw it in once in a while. See how the crowds react to it. Don't make it an automatic every night thing if the band is unsettled on whether it should be or not. Test the waters. *shrug*

Mick is this gothic, stoic figure now because I just think that he's lost so much of his mobility. Rather than just stand there, they added some character to his on-stage personality. if I was going to see a Crue Tribute band, personally, I would rather see the characterization of Mick as he was back in the early and mid 80's. However, maybe how you present your tribute of Mick depends on how the whole band wants to portray the whole band. I would think if you have the stage setup resembling somethign from the Shout At the Devil period, it would look goofy seeing whoever is playing Vince dressed up like he was for Theater. same would go for Mick. Stoic/Gothic Mick would work if the entire band is representing the current/recent Crue, as opposed to the earlier stuff. (hope that makes sense)

As for the first question, regarding their debut or Theater. I think that a couple of songs off of each album would be great. There are hidden gems on Theater that many casual fans probably don't know or remember. Same goes for the debut. Mix in a couple from each and I think you could keep the audience happy.

If you have vids or pictures, feel free to share some. :) Love me some Crue!

:oy:

Erikk_Marz

Reaction score
Thanks a lot Lynch. I agree with pretty much everything you said in your comment.

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
B. Theatre Of Pain

2. If you go to see a Motley Crue tribute band at a bar, Would you like to hear "Without You?"

A. Yes

3. If you go to see a Motley Crue tribute band at a bar, would you rather see the guitar player;

4. If you go to see a Motley Crue tribute band at a bar, do you expect to see a very animated, vocal drummer?

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

A. Too Fast For Love
B. Theatre Of Pain

A. Yes
B. No
C. Doesn't matter

OLD GOTHIC MARS SHOUT ERA and DEBUT ALBUM

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online