Morbid Angel - Blessed Are the Sick (1991)

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
album1309.jpg

Time to review a death metal classic this time, I covered the rather dire 2011 album of Morbid Angel but time to go back to 1991 when they unleashed this beast.

Tracklist.
1. Intro
2. Fall From Grace
3. Brainstorm
4. Rebel Lands
5. Doomsday Celebration
6. Day of Suffering
7. Blessed Are the Sick/Leading the Rats
8. Thy Kingdom Come
9. Unholy Blasphemies
10. Abominations
11. Desolate Ways
12. The Ancient Ones
13. In Remembrance

When I bought this album earlier in the year this was at a stage where death metal was still a new concept in my music library, I had heard Altars of Madness fury with the tempo, the riffing, just overall it was a very gritty but superb debut album.

What are the differences between that and Blessed? Firstly the tempo has slowed down in terms of regular drum beats, Pete Sandoval still delivers amazing blast kick beats to go with these slowed down drum beats, as for the guitar work and bass work it speaks for itself, Trey is a genius when it comes to the solos, Richard Brunelle also kept up such a fantastic level of rhythm within the music that it doesn't need much thought, just sit back and enjoy a death metal masterpiece. David Vincent was amazing himself, always has done as a bass player but vocally he really kicks the ass of the listeners in a metaphorical sense that it just has strength, intensity and fire in every line he sings.

My favourite songs as follows

Plus my video review on it, not quite as in detail but you get my level of joy from this album :)

The way I can only describe this album is to someone who wants to try some extreme music that really is thought provoking stuff but at the same time is simple, try this particular album, Morbid Angel like to provoke interest in their listeners.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Nice write up and video review, but you have a funny foreign accent, mate.:wtf:

J/K :heheh:

You and I and a couple others are the only ones sick enough to love this stuff around here so we are truly blessed. :cheers2

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nice write up and video review, but you have a funny foreign accent, mate.:wtf:

J/K :heheh:

You and I and a couple others are the only ones sick enough to love this stuff around here so we are truly blessed. :cheers2

Lol the accent is weird. Mix of Finnish, Aussie and Irish for ya :heheh:
Cheers, I do think there are a couple more Morbid fans here too.

Reaction score
I can't give this record enough praise. They outdid themselves with this one. It will stand the test of time for years to come. Another great review Riff!

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Actually I think they outdid themselves with Covenant which basically continued where Blessed left off :D

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey Joe I think you would really dig this album, it takes what they did with Altars to a whole new level :)

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Enjoy it :D This is my favourite death metal album of all time.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What did you think of the album Joe?

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom