Micheal Hedges - Aerial Boundaries (1985)

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Michael Hedges
Album:Aerial Boundaries (1984)
Genre: New Age, Acoustic Instrumental, Ambient

l2612.jpg

This album is the masterpiece that truly introduced Michael Hedges to the world. He plays with such child-like soul, but yet is eccentric. He shows he is a master of the acoustic guitar with his wildly fast finger work, finger techniques that can be fast or slow, seductive yet explosive. Tapping and slapping techniques that were unheard of during this time period. Hedges literally makes the guitar dance.

When listening to the songs, you will think there is more than one instrument playing, but there is only one man and his guitar. Hedges has such creative and masterful distortion techniques, that no acoustic guitar enthusiast will be disappointed. Every track on this album is hauntingly beautiful. Sit back and relax, enjoy this man’s gift of music.

A few tracks off the album:

[grooveshark]25041662[/grooveshark]
[grooveshark]25041664[/grooveshark]
[grooveshark]25041669[/grooveshark]
[grooveshark]25041673[/grooveshark]
[grooveshark]25041674[/grooveshark]

This entire album is simply marvelous. The song "Menage a Trois" will fool your ears, you will think you hear other instruments playing, when actually it is Michael Hedges using his distortion magic. I highly recommend this album to anyone who likes instrumental or acoustic guitar music. This album is great to play as a back ground music for relaxation, reading, or studying.

Micheal loved his audience and is very flamboyant on stage! It is such a shame the music world lost him. R.I.P.

Rating for listening pleasure: 5/5

rtbuck

Reaction score
Re: Micheal Hedges ~ Aerial Boundaries

Cool Stuff!! It will be great for relaxing to.I always have restless nights due to a back injury & this stuff will definitely help with that

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

It will relax you, RT. I play this album when I want to go to my "quiet spot" and just chill. I am a big fan of soft, ambient music. I will put up more soft listening reviews later :)

Mr. T

Reaction score

Being a noob I am a tad surprised to find a review of this here and sad to see only 1 reply to the original post because this man was a genius!

This is an artist that I always go back to when it's time to chill. Michael Hedges was unknown to most but never has there been a more talented musician. In my hands a guitar is a guitar but in his it was a symphony of tone and timbre, passion and emotion, the expression of a soul and a unique talent.

When I first heard this song it was my introduction to him as an artist and I wondered who was playing second guitar. Then I realized there was no second guitar, no overdubs, nothing but one man playing the instrument as no other had or has since.

Michael died at the age of 43 in a car accident in 1997. His car apparently skidded off a rain-slicked S-curve and down a 120-foot (37 m) cliff. Hedges was thrown from his car and appeared to have died nearly instantly. His body was found a few days afterward. After his death, his record, Oracle, won the 1998 Grammy Award for Best New Age Album.

If there is in fact a Heaven I can only imagine that THIS is what it now sounds like....

Last edited:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Thank you, TUИEZ!!!

Michael is indeed a genius. I would rank him in my top 3 greatest guitarists to ever live.

It is such a shame more people have not experienced his music. Highly under rated musician................

[grooveshark]25041687[/grooveshark]

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online