Michael Anthony doesn't like the Van Halen drama

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
blabbermouth

MICHAEL ANTHONY Doesn't Want The 'Drama' That Comes Along With Being In VAN HALEN - Nov. 18, 2011
Joe Charupakorn of Premier Guitar recently conducted an interview with CHICKENFOOT/ex-VAN HALEN bassist Michael Anthony. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.

Premier Guitar: Michael, there's a rumor that you're the richest among the original VAN HALEN members. Is that true?

Anthony: [Laughs.] Well, everybody used to joke that I saved the first dollar that I ever made in VAN HALEN. I probably did somewhere. You know what?! My wife Sue and I, we just celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary in February. That might have something to do with it, because every guy in VAN HALEN is divorced — a couple of them a couple of times. So, of course, that's going to tax their account a little bit.

Premier Guitar: Some people out there say CHICKENFOOT is in it just for the money, but you guys don't really need the money. Sammy [Hagar] made something like 80 million dollars selling a share of his tequila business.

Anthony: And that was just selling the first 80 percent. Once he sold the last 20 percent, I'm sure he made a good penny on that, too. The best part about CHICKENFOOT is that nobody needs the money. We've got nothing we need to prove to anybody. We wanted this to be a fun band and when we get in the studio it's just so loose, relaxed, and open. It's like the early days of VAN HALEN. Everybody's just throwing in their input and having a great time making music. We don't want any pressure and we said if any came up, we should just stop doing this.

Premier Guitar: Michael, if the situation presented itself, would you rejoin VAN HALEN?

Anthony: At this point in my life and career, I'm so happy with what I'm doing and I want to have fun making music. I don't want any drama. That whole drama thing in VAN HALEN, the way it ended up, I was like, "I'd rather make no money having fun playing music than make a shitload of money tearing my hair out." Maybe when I was 20, it would have been different, but not at this point. I want to keep my sanity.

Read the entire interview from Premier Guitar,.'

Photo below courtesy of Mad Anthony Cafe

mikeanthonybass.jpg

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
I've said it before.. Michael is a down to Earth guy.. In Sammy's book he mentioned what the Halens did to Michael cutting his share of the money down to 10% or less.
So going with Sammy in Chickenfoot was a excellent Idea because as he said.
"I'd rather make no money having fun playing music than make a shitload of money tearing my hair out."
I'm sure he's living his dream right now..:grinthumb

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
"I'd rather make no money having fun playing music than make a shitload of money tearing my hair out."

I like people who have that attitude regarding music, to me music can be bland if the artist is only putting a money driven motive into it, rather then actual enjoyment.

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
:grinthumb Looks like he's making some dough.. That car he's standing in front of is a Ford GTS..:oy:

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The irony is you can make more dough making albums that you put your soul into and sheer enjoyment then if it was just for money alone.

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
I've said it before.. Michael is a down to Earth guy.. In Sammy's book he mentioned what the Halens did to Michael cutting his share of the money down to 10% or less. So going with Sammy in Chickenfoot was a excellent Idea because as he said. "I'd rather make no money having fun playing music than make a shitload of money tearing my hair out." I'm sure he's living his dream right now..:grinthumb
Agree with the Slip-man. Prior to going to a local JC, I worked one summer at a Burger King in Pasadena along Rosemead and Colorado. One day, he pops in with a roadie. I engaged him in a small chat about "Diver Down" and thought it was very good along with their covers of the Orbison and Kinks songs. Anthony was pretty cool. Gracious and nice. I made sure their orders were prepared hot and fresh. In the end, he gave me a $20 tip! The manager saw it said that we did not take tips but I pocketed it anyway.

Kudos to him and his wife for being together for 30 years. That is unheard of usually in the music business let alone real life. That is also a sign of a pair of good people.

Dairenn

Recording Artist
Reaction score
I met him once in Studio City at an annual Independence Day celebration held on CBS' back lot. He really is a chill guy. Can't imagine wanting to put up with B.S. at his age either. Like he said, "maybe if I were 20 again." I feel the same way about a lot of things myself.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Cool Dairenn :grinthumb

I've said before I know his cousin and was friends with her back in school. He is a down to earth cat and I think everyone should be like Mike.

:grinthumb

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online