Menomena

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Menomena
menomena_faf_art_2.gif
a4(92).jpg

menomena_faf_art_2.gif

Menomena is a group that has a very sporadic and interesting process of songwriting. It's a fusion of ideas and a wide range of instruments involved usually starting with an initial beat and passing a mike around the room for the musicians to add something to it. Instruments include bass, guitar, piano, bells, sax and more. It's a cut and paste of what sounds good from the improvisations and it's cut together to make some wild and crazy yet melodic and very palatable sounds. They sound like a jazzy, lo-fi indie vibe that kicks in with some energetic riffs and jams. I was first introduced to them by a friend on a social network by a song on their 2007 debut. I've bought the 2012 release since and they are both awesome albums though a major personnel change was made in between. Check them out!

Album Discography
(Friend and Foe, Mines, Wet and Rusting EP, I Am The Fun Blame Monster, Moms)
71q7uIWYAhL._SL500_AA300_.jpg61191pOMhxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
42160392;encoding=jpg;size=300;fallback=defaultImage

413KwScudIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
menomenamoms.jpg

Wet and Rusting
(My intro track to them, love the build up, the beats all around, the layers, the spaciness, the Chris Martin style vocal, everything about it)

The Pelican
(This has a very Pink Floyd vibe to me, it's got a great kick to it but still lays some great harmonies as well)

Heavy Is As Heavy Does
(Very Anthony Kiedis vocal, a nice slowed down jazzy tune)

Don't Mess With Latexas

Air Aid

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Just listened to the tracks you posted. I can definitely see Pink Floydian influences... I am not overly thrilled with the vocalist. But his style may be intentional.

I will have to explore more. Looks like their best album may be the debut. I will have to give it a few spins.

Taboo

Toward the Within
Reaction score
Some cool tunes here like Heavy Is As Heavy Does, but like Magic said, not too fond on the vocals.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Interesting stuff for sure...a bit on the disturbing side.

I was a bit intrigued on The Pelican. The vocals there are a cross between Peter Gabriel and Roger Wtaers but leaning more towards the Gabriel side of the fence.

:grinthumb

Julie

Reaction score
I can hear the pink floydian influence as well.. And a fan of Pink Floyd as I am, I really like this music as well. Actually I really dig his vocals, a bit experimental at times... Well, just the music in general sounds experimental, but not annoyingly so. :)
Must say, didn't like the first song much that you posted here. I think I like "Heavy is as heavy does" the most.
Quite intimate lyrics as well, I like that.
"Heavy all the branches,
Hanging from my ****ed up family tree

And heavy was my father, a stoic man of pride and privacy
And I don’t care much for wishful thinking
It’s heavy as I breathe

Because I don’t believe in second chances
It’s heavy as I leave
As powerful as a man he was,
Proud my father never was of me

I did it for survival, but I look like the asshole anyway
You eat up all my breadcrumbs
Now I’m lost alone inside your cage
Among 6 billion people
I want the ones who never wanted me
I’m not one for religion,
But I can’t seem to ditch this imagery

And i don’t care much for wishful thinking
Is heavy as I breathe
Because i don’t believe in second chances
Is heavy as I leave

And I don’t care much for wishful thinking
I can’t breathe

Heavy all the branches."

The last one is really interesting too!

Last edited:

Sunny

Settled down at last and very happy.
Reaction score
Now this is an interesting band I hadn't heard of until now. I do like how each song listed above is different. I like the vocals! I see what you mean about the Anthony Kiedis sound in Heavy Is As Heavy Does :) I think that's the song I like best :grinthumb Definitely going to explore their music.

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
I like the sound of these guys, certainly a lot going on in each song and with each listen I suspect you'd notice something you didn't before. My favourite is Pelican, it caught my attention straight away with the dramatic piano intro. I've listened to it three times now and it is super catchy! Second favourite is Don't Mess With Latexas.

Great stuff :grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElviraPeth

Members online