Lou Reed - Metal Machine Music

The Icon

Reaction score
Check out Take No Prisoners Live, one of the best live albums ever. For someone who's not familiar with Lou, Rock N Roll Diary is a 2 album best of from the VU and his solo work. Lou is God... or not. :cheers2

rtbuck

Reaction score
Check out Take No Prisoners Live, one of the best live albums ever. For someone who's not familiar with Lou, Rock N Roll Diary is a 2 album best of from the VU and his solo work. Lou is God... or not. :cheers2

I've got to agree Icon, Take No Prisoners live is one of my favorite live albums of all-time. I love that version of "Satellite of Love" especially when the distorted guitar kicks in & that LONG bluesy version of Waiting for the Man is unreal. My introduction to Lou was hearing the Rock & Roll Animal album. At that time I was heavy into Kiss, Aerosmith, & Alice Cooper so that guitar heavy album featuring Dick Wagner & Steve Hunter just eased me right into being a Lou Reed fan & from there buying almost any album by him sounded great but yeah that "Take No Prisoners Live" album is my favorite:grinthumb

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Taken a keen interest in Lou Reeds solo work, I enjoyed his Velvet Underground material. Listening to Transformer, got some killer songs this album.
Walk On The Wild Side is a nice little melodic song.

Also love Andy's Chest

bernie2016

Reaction score
Lou Reed - "Heroin" live 1978. Does anyone else have an eargasm listening to this?

I recently discovered this rare clip of Lou Reed playing Heroin in 1978, with an undisclosed band, at Detroit's old Masonic Temple, and I have an eargasm whenever I hear the song from 9:17-9:22, especially when Reed sings "it's my wife and it's my life because a main into my vein" partially because I love how he sings it so fast (it usually has commas: "heroin....it's my wife and it's my life, because a main, into my vein, leads to a center in my head"). Does anybody else agree? Of course, it is best if you listen to the whole clip, but I love that part at 9:19 when Reed sings "because a main into my vein" and then the guitar has a brief solo note, before Reed continues "don't you know it leads to a center in my head."

Here's the clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY7yIcuQBIs

This is my favorite song by Reed, and this is definitely the best live version of it, in my opinion. Does anyone agree?:bonk:

wisertime

Keep on Truckin'
Reaction score
Yes. That was a good version but it sucks listening to music on youtube. I was always only familiar with the Rock and Roll Animal version, which I love, but this version is awesome.

Just last night in the car on the way home from a wake Sweet Jane came on and the kids and I talked about Lou Reed and how I ran to the record store after I heard it for the first time.

Lou Reed, man.....

bernie2016

Reaction score
Yes. That was a good version but it sucks listening to music on youtube. I was always only familiar with the Rock and Roll Animal version, which I love, but this version is awesome.

Just last night in the car on the way home from a wake Sweet Jane came on and the kids and I talked about Lou Reed and how I ran to the record store after I heard it for the first time.

Lou Reed, man.....
cc

Last edited:

Minlinks1

Reaction score
Walk on a wild side was my fave and few others from the velvet but not all because the kinds were very different

E-Z

Reaction score
I am one of the few sad rock freaks that kinda likes Metal Machine Music and that's no bull***t!!.

I wouldn't go as far as to says that it's 'one of my favourite albums' but it has it's own kind of appeal. It gets slightly interesting towards the end of Part 4 (the last track) when two of more electric guitars that are 'feeding back' start 'bouncing there feed back off each other' before the track abruptly ends!!.

A quote from the cd sleeve notes-

"There is no album in rock & roll like it. There may not be no other album that is more rock & roll than Metal Machine Music."

E-Z

Last edited:

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Transformer is great. Most of his past work was excluding Metal Machine and for obvious reasons Lulu.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online