Knockin' On Heaven's Door

Jet

Midway Up The Ceiling
Reaction score
First video is the original studio version without the typical nasally Dylan vocals. The second video is from 20+ years later during the MTV Unplugged era and like everything over a 20 year period with him, it all sounded different in the 90's than it did in the 60's or 70's.

:yuk:

He sounds like two different people. I like Clapton's version better also.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
I'd say Dylan was at his vocal peak in the 70s. He didn't have 1/10th the range he displayed in his self-titled debut but he had mastered this interesting dynamic style where he'd sing softly, then give it some punch. Made for some very suspenseful buildup and with the stark nature of his singing it worked exceedingly well for his style of music.

bugara1

Reaction score
I'll take Clapton's and/or GnR's version over the Dylan original ANY and EVERY day of the week.

Are you sure you have ever listened to Dylan's version? And even if you don't like it you have to give the man some credit for writing the song in the first place.

gguerra

Reaction score
They only play a small portion of the song in the movie

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Bob Dylan's voice is one of the most ragged sounding I've ever heard (and that included Tom Waits) and it certainly hasn't aged gracefully. That said, no one can doubt that he was a fantastic songwriter. Dylan, Randy Newman, and others wrote good songs but they frequently sound better when other artists interpret them. The "Live Era" version of "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" from Guns N' Roses is my favorite rendition of the song.

luderei

Reaction score
I like Dylan's (original) version better than any of the covers, but I do feel it's inspired by Neil Young's "Helpless".

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
I've never bought into the idea that virtually any cover of a Dylan song is better than the original. There have certainly been some great renditions of his songs by a broad selection of artists over a period of 50 years, but they have been 'different interpretations', and not necessarily 'better'. A perfect example of this is 'All Along The Watchtower'. There seems to be a common belief that Jimi's version is the definitive one (Though I think many who would say that have not even heard the original!). Dylan's original has a haunting feel to it, and an air of potential menace. This is totally lost in Jimi's cover, as good as it is. Yes Dylan's vocal could never be described as great, but his art has always carried him through.

~Banshee~

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Reaction score
Its not always the way that original is best but I think it is on this occasion

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Murphy_orrest

Members online