Judas Priest (Official Thread)

snakes&ladders

Reaction score
Re: Judas Priest

In 1977 came "Sin After Sin". This recording is a landmark in heavy metal, from the double pedal drumming of session musician Simon Philips on the stunning track "Dissident Aggressor", to the proto-speed metal guitars of Downing and Tipton in "Call For The Priest/Raw Deal", just a massive album that showed Priest was becoming a major player and pushing the boundaries of Heavy Metal further than ever before.

After this album came out Priest went on tour in the U.S opening for REO Speedwagon and Foreigner, talk about a contrast in styles...lol.

Dissident Aggressor, considered the Heaviest song ever recorded back in the 70's.

judas_priest_sin_after_sin_front.jpg

judas_priest_sin_after_sin_back.jpg

Joan Baez's classic Diamonds & Rust done by Priest is worth the entire album :)

taha

Reaction score

Rob was a little freaky in his early days, he should'a been breaking glass with that voice back then. Of course that range gave way to what turned out to be one of the top 2 metal voices of all time !

wolfsblood

Reaction score

Question for the Judas Priest experts here:
The song Diamonds And Rust appears on later versions of the debut Rocka Rolla album. Does anyone know if that version was recorded in the Rocka Rolla sessions and is it a different version than what's on Sin After Sin?

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

There is a different version of Dimaonds And Rust on the early compilation Priest album Hero Hero which was basically a two in one of the first two albums along with Diamonds and Rust which is an early version. That version also appeared on Best Of Judas Priest back in the day.

Not sure if it was recorded during the Rocka Rolla session but one might think so as this bonus track on new issues of Rocka Rolla is from the compilation HERO HERO!

Hope that helps...here are two cover photos. :cheers:

51vY4hZBGTL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

51vhnWAmBnL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

wolfsblood

Reaction score

Thanks for the info!
They also changed the cover art for Rocka Rolla at some point around 1981 for some reason. It went from the Coca Cola type logo to the alien thing with the missiles.

taha

Reaction score

Saw Rob on That Metal Show last night, the guy brings so much info about Metal to the table. I think their convo. could have gone on for hours.....

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I am sure he could have kept going for hours Taha, although I have never heard of that program before...:dunno:

Wolfsblood, I am pretty sure the Coca Cola company had something to do with the album cover being changed...but that is just a hunch.;)

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score

Great Thread Lord Grendel.. Your list of LP's as Rocka Rolla on the top is my favorite LP.. I've seen them in concert a number of times and was never disappointed..
They are a amazing band for sure.. I try to own pretty much anything they came out with.. I have to say I was a bit let down with the "Angels of Retribution" CD.. it just hasn't grown on me so far..
But they have some KILLER songs.. To me they can really put out some great Ballads.. Deep and meaningful..
And loads of their hard core stuff is just amazing and charged up to the top!!
Great Band.. Timeless and top of the list!!

Last edited by a moderator:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Thanks Thumper, great to see another fan of theirs in here. I agree about the diversity they have from an all out metal assault, to beautiful ballads just as you described.:tup:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online

No members online now.