Johnny Winter (Official Thread)

StarThrower

Reaction score
Another plug for Johnny Winter. I love his playing! In addition to the official albums listed, I have a collection on Relix Records called Birds Can't Row Boats featuring some great early recordings.

His Alligator album Third Degree really got me into the blues back in the 80s. Then I bought Progressive Blues Experiment, and that really made me a big fan!

rtbuck

Reaction score

The latest addition to my collection....

Released 1977

"I'd like to dedicate this album to all the people who enjoy my kind of blues and especially to Muddy Waters for giving me the inspiration to do it and for giving the world a lifetime of great blues." - Johnny Winter

1. "Tired of Tryin'" - 3:40
2. "TV Mama" - 3:11
3. "Sweet Love and Evil Women" - 2:50
4. "Everybody's Blues" - 5:03
5. "Drinkin' Blues" - 3:40
6. "Mad Blues" - 4:17
7. "It Was Rainin'" - 5:53
8. "Bladie Mae" - 3:30
9. "Walkin' Thru the Park" (McKinley Morganfield) - 4:07

Johnny Winter - Guitar, Harmonica, Drums, Bass, Vocals
Muddy Waters - Guitar, Vocals
Willie "Big Eyes" Smith - Drums
Pinetop Perkins - Piano
Bob Margolin - Guitar
James Cotton - Harmonica
Charles Calmese - Bass

Great album! I just rediscovered it. I had the record for years but it was lost in vinyl heaven somewhere in the attic. I was in a Johnny Winter phase recently(I have several cd's) & ordered the combination 'Nothin' but the blues' & White, Hot, & Blue'(which is another phenomenal album) cd.

Last edited by a moderator:

Garrett

✯ Blues Man ✯
Reaction score
Great album! I just rediscovered it. I had the record for years but it was lost in vinyl heaven somewhere in the attic. I was in a Johnny Winter phase recently(I have several cd's) & ordered the combination 'Nothin' but the blues' & White, Hot, & Blue'(which is another phenomenal album) cd.

:clap: You`ll love `em!

E-Z

Reaction score
I have the Nothin' but the blues album on cd (i originally had it on vinyl back in the 1980s) but i havan't played it for maybe 20 years?, it's to bluesy.

I preferred it when Johnny played more rock then blues like on the albums Still alive & well from 1973 and Saints & Sinners from 1974, funky blues/rock the way Johnny use to play it.

E-Z

Reaction score
Poor old Johnny hows his health holding up these days??.

Saw him on a dvd at the CLAPTON guitar fest in Chicago 3-4 years ago playing sitting down doing HIGHWAY 61 REVISITED and he looked god-awful.

After he'd finished his roadie led him off stage, he was walking like he was busting to use the rest room or something??.

Garrett

✯ Blues Man ✯
Reaction score
In a recent interview, he said he is feeling pretty good and that he has quit drinking and smoking.....Johnny is 68 and so far he has been keeping up with a grueling tour schedule and he even took time to release a new album last year. But years of hard living have taken a toll on him for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:

E-Z

Reaction score
Thanks Garrett, i've heard about Johnny's health problems over the last 10-15 years and to be honest it's a wonder that he's still around the guy is painfully thin!!.

In his prime during the 1970s nobody but nobody could came close to touching him even Ritchie Blackmore ex-Deep Purple & Rainbow in an interview in the late 1990s said that for blues guitar then it's gotta be Johnny Winter.

Chevelle

Protected Witness
Reaction score
Some of my favorite American guitarists are from Texas.
I only saw Johnny Winter one time. It was at the Hollywood Palladium in '72 or '73. It was not a big place so I was pretty close to the stage and I couldn't stop checking out his Gibson Firebirds. He had three back-ups on guitar stands next to his amp.
I'm about fifteen feet from him and he was hot+++ and also played the fastest slide solos I had ever heard.
Around that same time I saw his brother Edgar with his band White Trash and he put on a great show playing multiple instruments. Rick Derringer came out near the end of the set and they did a hot version of Rock and Roll Hoochie Koo.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FernandoRu

Staff online

Members online