John Waite (Official Thread)

Rock Candy

Rock 'n' Roll Doctor
Reaction score
Well, I've noticed we have a thread for The Babys, but not one for Waite's solo endeavours. Well, no time like the present to correct such a thing! No doubt we can get some love for Waite's 80s output going, beyond the standard "Missing You" fare?

medium_waite1.JPG

John Waite Official Website

"As a solo artist and as the lead singer of the Babys and Bad English, John Waite was a fixture of album-oriented rock radio stations during the '70s and '80s. Waite had a talent for power ballads and driving arena rock, occasionally touching on new wave-styled power pop as well. Though he didn't consistently have hits, several of his songs -- including "Missing You," the Babys' "Isn't It Time," and Bad English's "When I See You Smile" -- became radio staples." - The AllMusic guide

Discography
*Ignition (1982)
*No Brakes (1984)
*Mask of Smiles (1985)
*Rover's Return (1987)
*Temple Bar (1995)
*When You Were Mine (1997)
*Figure in a Landscape (2001)
*The Hard Way (2004)
*Downtown: Journey of a Heart (2007)
*Rough & Tumble (2011)

Change

Mr. Wonderful

Missing You

Love Collision

Every Step of the Way

Just Like Lovers

These Times Are Hard For Lovers

Encircled

JerseyGirl

Reaction score
I love John Waite but I didn't have anything by him so I recently picked up John Waite Extended Versions and love it! Can't find the actual cuts from it but here are couple of more songs I like by him.

In Dreams

When I See You Smile (nice version from Downtown)

And from his newest album, Rough and Tumble:

If You Ever Get Lonely

Shadows Of Love

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score
Love John Waite ! Sexy bit he is wooot ! Manchester boy :D

apart this ,he's a great musician..loved him since his The Baby's days..let me look for some music !

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
John Waite has a GREAT voice ! :bow:I loved the material he was doing with THE BABYS, and this was carried on in his solo work.....and to a certain extent BAD ENGLISH.
Im so glad Mr Waite got the recognition he deserved....with the song " Missin you" which was a MASSIVE hit around the globe

opera races

Reaction score
I suddenly "rediscovered" John Waite late last year. I'll leave out the whole story of what led up to that but I think it was the first time I consciously "connected the dots" between The Babys, his solo work and Bad English (which I think is where he lost me but only due to one certain sappy power ballad which turns out was the one song by an "outside writer"). I realized I've always liked his voice but somehow didn't get around to buying anything, besides a Babys 45 back in the day, until I was heavily into my thrift shop vinyl phase and found some Babys albums and a copy of No Brakes.

With John Waite's older work in particular I think I always perceived him as being more "pop" and polished and while I enjoyed listening to him on the radio, MTV, etc., I guess he was a little outside my bubble as far as buying actual records by him ... or there was always something else I would pick up first.

Recently I found out John Waite had done more solo work after Bad English and had released an album of mostly new material last year called "Rough and Tumble". I promptly ordered a new copy of the CD and oh my goodness ... that album has been rocking my world lately. I think John Waite sounds even better then ever on it and also seems to be coming from a place I didn't sense before on his older work ... more emotional and raw and I find myself connecting with it more than I usually do with singer/songwriter driven albums.

John Waite has a couple of shows in my area next month and I have gotten tickets for both!

In the meantime I'm filling in the blanks as far as John Waite in my music collection. More on that in the appropriate thread ;)

By the way, I've noticed Shadows of Love is not on the CD I have. And I did find a track listing which I'm thinking is for another version of the CD, possibly the European release (?) which has Shadows of Love and some of the other tracks in slightly different order. Normally I'm not an extreme completist type but ...

Metal Head Mike

Reaction score
I remember seeing the video for Missing You when I was young. Never got an album by him until the first Bad English. I do own a couple of his solo releases now. Like it more now more than ever

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score
John Waite has a GREAT voice ! :bow:I loved the material he was doing with THE BABYS, and this was carried on in his solo work.....and to a certain extent BAD ENGLISH.
Im so glad Mr Waite got the recognition he deserved....with the song " Missin you" which was a MASSIVE hit around the globe

Speaking of Bad English :D

Kinda liked this one alot...

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I always thought he had a good voice....there was a time I was hooked on him and Phil Mogg :grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Staff online

Members online