James Durbin

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
JD_2011-024_C_1276Ret2Hoiz12.jpg

This was a surprise to me because as an Idol contestant I never really saw what made Chris stand out from all the other pop rockers from Idol past. I didn't pick up that vibe from him. In fact, the last season was the first season since I started watching I didn't finish watching. So my friend told me that he had been sampling the c.d. and it was really solid with the type of pop rock sound we usually like.. I also did my own sampling on my own and tended to agree. Luckily, there was a Black Friday c.d. to get the album for 7 bucks so it was an easy buy good or bad.

James-Durbin-Memories-Of-A-Beautiful-Disaster.jpg

Now I've had plenty of time to hear the album and I really like it. One thing you could tell on the show is the guy had pipes and quite a range. Vocally he was like Adam Lambert with his range and I think the songwriters did a great job pulling in the reigns and creating a steadier rock vibe more akin to Daughtry for the album. The pipes still get to soar but it's mopre of a rock albuum than Lamberts flamboyant pop spectacle. I dare say this is my favorite album by an Idol male.

One reason is the songwriters knew what they were crafting. There's a lot of great talent contributing to the writing of this album, a lot of them being rock singers themselves. The lead singer of Sixx A.M., former Evanescence member turned songwriter Ben Moody, fellow reality show winners David Cook and Ryan Star and veteran writer Marti Fredrikson all left a fingerprint here. Even Motley Crues Mick Mars contributes guitar on one track. To me I think a great collection of songwriters is enough to perk my interest for an album. Now I know that James isn't a well crafted songwriter yet but he shows potential as he writes on four of the songs hear. Ironically, he writes solely on my personal favorite on the album, "Right behind You". Let's see what you guys think of these tracks:

Higher Than Heaven
(I can hear the Sixx A.M. influence on this. I honestly think that overall that James does have that special 80's metal type vocal)

Right Behind You
(this is a perfect pop rock song, I love the strummingguitar/drum rhythm and the overall driving beat and structure of the song, my favorite)

Outcast (ft. Mick mars)
(doing a great Vince vocal, James is a chameleon on vocals, he has his own vibe which will come out more with each album)

May
(Of course I have to spotlight the most balladish song within the album, beautiful track though)

Check it out! You may be surprised or may not! Regardless it has the Sooty approval! :grinthumb

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score
Kudos to you for posting this thread. James is the one who turned me on to Muse. I definitely preferred him to Adam Lambert and I like both of them.

ninjarawker

Reaction score
I think Memories of a Beautiful Disaster is one of the best Idol debut albums ever, and certainly the best rock debut since Daughtry back in '06.

Two things make this album stand out from other modern rock albums:

1. Stylistic diversity - each song sounds different, and the album is very crossover.
2. Durbin's voice - there is no one else in modern rock that can match not only his insanely wide range but his incredibly dynamic tone. Myles Kennedy, James Michael & Brent Smith would be the closest comparisons, but I've never heard any of them hit some of the notes that this kid can hit, and Adam Lambert works in the pop market so he doesn't count.

I love almost every song on the CD and all 3 iTunes exclusive bonus tracks as well.

Higher Than Heaven is a bona fide Active Rock hit. The chorus has a strong hook and the guitar solo, that his lead guitarist Dylan Rosenberg plays on that song, is killer. That dude sounds like a young Zakk Wylde (kinda looks like him too, LOL).

Love In Ruins is awesome, it's got a nice 90s Aersomith power ballad sound to it, and James can rock the scream every bit as well as Steven Tyler can.

Right Behind You is very crossover, I can see AC, HAC & CHR radio all going for it. And James shows great promise as a songwriter here. Is it just me or does it kinda sound like Disarm by Smashing Pumpkins?

Deeper is sick! It sounds like a blend of U2 & Muse and reminds me a lot his cover of Muse's Uprising. And I love that we get to hear his rarely used extreme low register again, he actually sounds really good when he sings in the baritone range. Also has crossover potential for CHR & Alt. Rock.

May is gorgeous! He said that it's a classic story telling song a la Bruce Springsteen/Bob Dylan where the singer is playing a role - this kid knows his rock 'n' roll. And his falsetto reminds me of early Elton John. Just beautiful beyond words, and will appeal to many formats. The "Adele-like" piano sound will appeal to AC, HAC & CHR and I can see country radio going for this too.

Outcast is energetic, fun hair metal at it's best. This is the kinda song I would blast from the jukebox in a bar on a boring night. What's not to love here? Mick Mars' solo, shades of Sebastian Bach (verses) and Vince Neil (chorus) in James' vocals, and some of the catchiest guitar riffs I've heard in a long time. With glam bands like Black Veil Brides becoming popular these days it could have a shot at Active Rock radio too.

Those are the songs on the CD I absolutely love, for the others on the CD that I don't love as much but still like:

All I Want is a nice catchy tune but I don't like this Coldplay/One Republic sound for James. It makes him sound very generic and does nothing to bring out the unique nuances in his voice, radio will eat it up though.

Love Me Bad is my least favourite song on the CD and from what I can hear, is the most over produced track on the CD. It's just so cliche, and I can't find anything in the song that he can personally relate to, based on what is known about him. It's easy listening but it just doesn't blow me away.

Screaming is quite cool but I feel it needs much heavier guitar, and more, eh, screaming, LOL. I think the live version with full band electric amps is going to sound amazing.

Everything Burns is a nice simple rock ballad but just like with All I Want it makes James sound too generic. Doesn't help that it sounds almost exactly like the original, had James known that Ben Moody already released this song x2, I'm sure he would've changed the arrangement somewhat. I hope he does when he performs it in concert, this song can be rocked A LOT harder.

Stand Up is an almost perfect stadium anthem, the only thing missing IMO is a kick ass guitar solo. I hope Dylan writes one and adds it in for live shows.

And now to the bonus tracks:

Two of these are still available for purchase on iTunes, the third one was briefly available with the iTunes pre order:

Liberate is a very radio friendly alt metal tune, sounds a little like Dokken in places and features a Dylan Rosenberg guitar solo:

Back For More is my absolute favourite of all his songs. This song is so unique and original. It's a groove metal song that's a bad ass mix of Avenged Sevenfold, Rob Zombie & oriental instrumentals. Very hypnotic, kinda makes me feel like I'm James' cobra to his snake charmer when I listen to it. It's just SICK:

Crawling Home is a beautiful power ballad that James co-wrote with DJ Ashba of SIXX:AM, DJ also plays on this song and Dylan plays the solo. It reminds me a lot of the Bon Jovi power ballads I used to slow dance to in middle school back in the early 90s (Always/Bed of Roses), LOL. James vocals are brilliant in this song, there's his super smooth vibrato, his sweet falsetto and his piercing high range against the driving guitar riffs. Great song, wish I could link it here, but I know of 1 internet station that plays it every day: Online Alternative Music - Live365 Internet Radio - WISE RADIO

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Kudos to you for posting this thread. James is the one who turned me on to Muse. I definitely preferred him to Adam Lambert and I like both of them.

Right Behind You is very crossover, I can see AC, HAC & CHR radio all going for it. And James shows great promise as a songwriter here. Is it just me or does it kinda sound like Disarm by Smashing Pumpkins?

Thank you for contributing Annie and being open minded about the Idol machine which does produce gems along with it's misses just like any other source! :cheers2

Ninja Rawker, EXCELLENT review! :grinthumb Seriously that was great! I almost feel bad that it didn't get it's own thread to shine! One thing I have to follow up on is YES, it does have a Pumpkins feel and that was mulling in my head after picking it as my favorite. Being the resident Pumpkinhead here I may of been too close to the situation so to speak to truly break down how but it was definitely there. To me it had that explosive strumming feel of "Tonight, Tonight" but I think your idea about "Disarm" may have really nailed it on the head. Props! :cheers2

I have to say I notice you are an Idol fan and I've always been but with reviews like that I hope we see you in other areas of the forum musically as well! Peace! :cheers2

ninjarawker

Reaction score
Love In Ruins is awesome, it's got a nice 90s Aersomith power ballad sound to it, and James can rock the scream every bit as well as Steven Tyler can.

James shows his swagger:

Deeper is sick! It sounds like a blend of U2 & Muse and reminds me a lot his cover of Muse's Uprising. And I love that we get to hear his rarely used extreme low register again, he actually sounds really good when he sings in the baritone range. Also has crossover potential for CHR & Alt. Rock.

And to demonstrate what I mean:

Compare this: with this:

Back For More is my absolute favourite of all his songs. This song is so unique and original. It's a groove metal song that's a bad ass mix of Avenged Sevenfold, Rob Zombie & oriental instrumentals. Very hypnotic, kinda makes me feel like I'm James' cobra to his snake charmer when I listen to it. It's just SICK:

Forgot to when that he co-wrote this song too.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online

Members online