Is One Direction bigger than The Beatles?

Is One Direction bigger than The Beatles?

• YES!

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • NO!

Votes: 18 78.3%
  • Maybe only time will tell

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
One Direction now bigger than The Beatles in the United States - VIDEOS | Irish Entertainment in Ireland and Around the World | IrishCentral

POSTER1.jpg

or

one-direction_1.jpg

Jake T

Running With The Pack
Reaction score
No, I've heard of the Beatles. Even though I may be out of the happening pop scene, I think everyone, young and old, heard of the Beatles when they hit the US. Is that young man on the far right supposed to be a Justin Bieber clone?

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
One direction are awful....but some kids seem to like them for some strange reason.
No way in the same league as a million bands never mind THE BEATLES :heheh:

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
They write original material, play their own instruments and produce hugely influential albums.

The Beatles = Yes

One Direction = No

So, I voted no.

WetWilly

Whiskey Rock-A-Roller
Reaction score
NO! I've never heard of One Direction, I don't think there's anyone on the Planet that could honestly say that about The Beatles.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Oh lemme see....."Is One Direction Bigger than The Beatles?" I think a better question is who cares? The Beatles never debuted at number one and they aren't putting out albums anymore so there really isn't a chance for them to. Sooner or later someone has to be the first one to do something and I'm sorry but The Beatles can't hold every single record. Bad pop fads have always been successful and some people have always gotten mad at them. Wax on, wax off.

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
No offense to the OP, but I feel like I've seen threads like this - "Is (enter flavor of the month band/artist here) bigger than (insert legendary rock band/artist here)?" and I never understood the reasoning behind it. I feel like it's just a way for people to poke fun at the newer acts and provoke band bashing, which is one thing about this forum I could do without to be perfectly honest. I agree with Harmony... who cares? I'm NOT a fan of One Direction (I can say with all honesty I haven't heard a single one of their songs in its entirety) but threads like this... gah. :rolleyes:

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
First of all that article is four months old.... just for the record.

But that article is astronomically silly. Comparing one aspect is never the measuring stick of who is bigger or better. If we compare the number of outfit changes, 1D is probably "bigger" than The Beatles but I tend to think language has meaning and to call 1D bigger based on one arbitrary chart record defies the meaning of the word bigger. If you're going to base the comparison on one statistic, at least choose something consequential, maybe if 1D sells more records in the US than The Beatles ever have, using words like bigger might be justified.

People seem to make comparisons like this solely based on the fangirl mania associated with acts. Yeah 1D has the screaming teen aspect, like The Beatles did. But there's more to a band than that, ahahaha. I remember people were asking "Are the Jonas Brothers bigger than The Beatles?" Um, guys, The Jonas Brothers were still opening up for Hannah Montana at the time. If you're going to compare modern sensations to the biggest band of all-time at least have the good sense to pick the biggest acts of today. Taylor Swift, Lady Gaga, Britney Spears, Rihanna, Beyonce, Katy Perry, are all much bigger than One Direction so how could One Direction possibly be bigger than The Beatles?

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildredLad

Members online