Iron Butterfly / Captain Beyond Guitarist Dies

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
Not a good start of the year.

Larry Reinhardt was 63

Larry "Rhino" Reinhardt joined Iron Butterfly in 1971 after stints in bands with Dicky Betts and Berry Oakley before they joined The Allman Brothers Band.

He recorded one album with the band called Metamorphosis before they split. He and Lee Dorman then formed Captain Beyond with Rod Evans from Deep Purple and Bobby Caldwell from Johnny Winter's band.

Captain Beyond split in 1977 but reformed briefly in the late 1990s, before Reinhardt pursued a solo career, releasing his debut solo album, Rhino's Last Dance, in 2009. He released new album Back In The Day as Rhino & The Posse last year.

RIP Larry "Rhino" Reinhardt, 1948 - 2012

planetrock.co.uk

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Another one bites the dust, going to be a continuous stream of these announcements for another 20 years as a generation of rock musicians passes on.

I do have Captain Beyond's best record and a couple Iron Butterfly discs as well, but didn't follow him much the last twenty odd years.

RIP Rhino.

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Agreed ..a sad start to the year :rip: ...Left us with some good music

E-Z

Reaction score
I'M VERY SORRY TO HEAR THAT "RHINO" OF IRON BUTTERFLY & CAPTAIN BEYOND HAS DIED.

The 1st Captain Beyond album with Rod Evan's ex-DEEP PURPLE on vocals, Lee Dorman on bass ex-IRON BUTTERFLY and Bobby Caldwell on drums ex-JOHNNY WINTER was and still is one of my favourite early 1970s albums!.

Rock & Roll "Rhino"

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Staff online

Members online