IQ Band (Official Thread)

IOjon

Reaction score
iq_band_pic3.jpg

With a 28-year history, IQ are widely regarded as one of the world’s most highly respected progressive rock bands. The group was formed in 1981 by guitarist Mike Holmes and keyboard player Martin Orford. They recruited bassist Tim Esau, later that year, followed by vocalist Peter Nicholls and drummer Paul Cook in 1982. The year 1982 saw the release of their first record Seven Stories Into Eight. Constant shows throughout the UK led to them becoming a regular fixture at London’s legendary Marquee Club. Their next album Tales from the Lush Attic was released in 1983, followed by the classic The Wake in 1985.

Tensions within the band, plus a punishing live schedule, resulted in the departure of Peter Nicholls in 1985, at the end of a UK tour with Wishbone Ash. With new singer Paul Menel, the band headlined London’s Piccadilly Theater and secured a lucrative record deal with Phonogram. New studio albums Nomzamo (1987) and Are you Sitting Comfortably? (1989) were promoted by extensive European tours with Magnum and Mike and the Mechanics.

The 1991 release of the live and rarities album J’ai Pollette d’Arnu” was a significant event as it was the first release on Giant Electric Pea, a new label founded by members and associates of IQ. 1991 also marked the return of original singer Peter Nicholls, as well as the arrival of John Jowitt as the band’s new bassist. With a stable line-up once more, IQ resumed live work in the UK, Europe, and North America while also writing new songs which would serve as the basis of the album Ever (1993).

In 2005 Paul Cook left IQ after 23 years of service. He was replaced by Andy Edwards (ex-Robert Plant Band). Another line-up change followed in 2007 when Martin Orford left after 26 years to pursue a solo career. Mark Westworth (Darwin’s Radio) joined the line-up, and after a short tour in autumn of 2007, IQ set about completing work on their next studio album.

2009, sees the release of Frequency, IQ’s ninth studio album, a musical tour de force which finds the band still at the top of their game. The return of original drummer Paul Cook for this year’s live work ensures another exciting and memorable year for these popular and innovative prog rockers.

Albums:

Seven Stories into Eight (cassette) (1982)
Tales from the Lush Attic (1983)
The Wake (1985)
Nomzamo (1987)
Are You Sitting Comfortably? (1989)
Ever (1993)
Subterranea (1997)
The Seventh House (2000)
Dark Matter (2004)
Frequency (2009)

IQ Official Website

M

Last edited by a moderator:
T

The Old Road

Re: IQ to Release New Album "Frequency" on June 2nd, 2009

I've drifted away from IQ in recent years after having been a fan of them from the old days. However, I've listened to this a lot recently and I think it may well become my favourite IQ album. It's very refreshing to hear a band this far into their career right at the top of their game.

Stout

Reaction score
Re: IQ Band

They are highlyunderrated. I happened to have seen them live at nearfest 2005. there are those here who will disparage the band as Genesis imitators, but that is wrong . What Iq deal in is good songwritng in the symphonic rock vein. they have continued on a style of music Genesis once performed, but had forsaken years earlier. Great melodies and intensive incisive lyrics abound, along with some of the most stirring guitar work by Mike Holmes.
Subterranea, their double cd concept album is their best effort, although I do feel `Frequency' is a close second followed by `The Seventh House.'

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Missed this band completely Stout, but I have got a copy of Frequency now so I can catch up a little.:D

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score

I think IQ have had a wonderful career. I like their early albumThe Wake, some of the mid years the live Subterranea is awesome and their last two "Frequency" and "Dark Matter" are really good Frequency will make my top 20 for 2009.

IQ NEARfest 06
3195128059_63af18b486.jpg

Stout

Reaction score

^ `The Wake' was the first IQ album I have ever heard. You could accuse them of borrowing from their influences a bit heavily, but as a slice of symphonic rock which was practically a dead genre in the 80`s, it is one of the best efforts of that decade in that sphere.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online