If this artist had an album like this I would buy it.....

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Here's an idea I'm not sure has been posted here before which is rare as we've covered a lot. :p There are artist that aren't our style but have the chops to do something we'd like with simply one change of style. With the internet we can hear a lot of times when they pull out something different for them and wonder what it'd be like if they actually made an album like this. It might be one song or even collaboration alone that reveals something you never realized about them musically. What artists would tempt you to buy their album if they tweaked their sound based on something they've done?

My example would be Miley Cyrus. The first time I ever had an inkling of her real talent in action was a 2012 performance in which she covered "Jolene" and nailed it. I like Dolly's original of course and I'm not here to compare. I know she has a Country background in her life but this was the first time I heard her embrace it in any form. Just recently she's become a modern voice for people due to her name alone but some great performances have also come for it with her cover of Dido's "No Freedom" w/ Adam Sandler and a Tom Petty cover of "Wildflowers". If nothing else it proves that when stripped down she can perform something very genuine and enjoyable. The only catch is that the evidence are all covers which is fine as not every great singer is a writer but it'd work if she did the rootsy style (which the new album does a touch of) that actually had a personal connection. She's actually a smart woman and could have some things to write about since she seems to take chances and live an interesting life.

Miley Cyrus-Jolene

Miley Cyrus w/Adam Sandler-No Freedom

Miley Cyrus-Wildflowers

Reaction score
What if John Lennon met Barbra Streisand at an art gallery, instead of Yoko Ono, and they became a couple, eventually married and Barbra began to contribute to John's albums. You might have gotten more like this

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
What if John Lennon met Barbra Streisand at an art gallery, instead of Yoko Ono, and they became a couple, eventually married and Barbra began to contribute to John's albums. You might have gotten more like this

I genuinely liked that song. It had a lot of soul. I genuinely like being surprised by music artist. :)

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
Your thread is actually very interesting. I think Miley might also have been my first answer. I could say Lady Gaga too, but I actually own some of her albums. Never made a secret of liking her. The whole if they played something else thing is tricky, because I don't usually let genres stop me. Only shit music, which exists in all genres.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Your thread is actually very interesting. I think Miley might also have been my first answer. I could say Lady Gaga too, but I actually own some of her albums. Never made a secret of liking her. The whole if they played something else thing is tricky, because I don't usually let genres stop me. Only shit music, which exists in all genres.

I don't let that stop me either. I like Pop music but it subdues some pure and genuine facets I love. These artists can still put out the big beat driven Pop singles and make better deep cuts and I'd be happy. You can still have a Pop sensibility while treading more of the singer-songwriter feel or dabbling in the more classic of genres. I'm all for reaching a wide audience with a good song that's easily accessible but you can do both imo. :)

BikerDude

Dude
Reaction score
Makes sense to me.
Unfortunately a lot of younger people are immune to it.
The record companies play to the sensibilities of the yutes.

Interesting to note is that Lady Gaga started out in a Led Zeppelin cover band.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepowerdry1

Members online