Hip-hop/Breakbeats/Jazz-DJ Shadow-Preemptive Strike

Alocer

Music Fiend
Reaction score
a87b225b9da0ee5c84523110.L.jpg

Alright, taking another detour in the world of music I offer you DJ Shadow's "Preemptive Strike", A large depature from mainstream hip-hop in many ways. Lets get a little background info first.

DJ Shadow is a record collecting machine! He owns the largest private collection of records on the eastern seaboard....He was featured in the Movie "Scratch" and has done collaborations with people like Beastie Boys and the like.

This album is one of the most beautiful pieces of music I know of. ( And I listen to alot of music..) I combines so many different genre's and styles to create something fresh and new. The popular track, for example,(Organ Donor) is an organ piece used as a main mid/synth build. It has a haunting almost creepy sound that compels you to listen. The best part is that thats not even my favorite track, there are these tracks listed as "What Does Your Soul Look Like" broken up into 4 different parts. These tracks are what make the album whole. They create and atmospheric almost ambient sound balanced with sub-bass to round out samples taken from the thousands of records at his disposal.

There is a slight problem with this CD though, It was his first and in my opinion, his best. I am worried that this may be his crowning glory and its sad that it was right at the beginning of his career...I have heard alot of his current projects and though it is still clear he knows whats going on, very few albums show the same insight this one showed.

I have only heard one other track of his that I like and thats out of the last 3 or 4 CD's produced.

Oh well, he made this, and if I ever make anything even close, I won't care if its at the beginning or end of career. I will consider it a triumph. If you don't have it, get it!:grinthumb

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Members online