Hendrix in Maui 1970

E-Z

Reaction score
I recently bought this new double-cd release of a live Jimi Hendrix concert featuring Billy Cox on bass & Mitch Mitchell on drums on what became known as the Cry of Love tour during the spring & summer of 1970 part of which took place on the island of Maui in Hawaii back in July 1970 and is released through Experience Hendrix a Jimi Hendrix family run organisation. This two part concert was performed with the first concert taking place in the early afternoon and a second concert taking place later in the same afternoon. This concert was originally bootlegged on (coloured) vinyl record(s) back in the 1970s and came on two separate vinyl records (I owned a vinyl record of the second later concert myself back in the mid 1980s) and was then given a semi-legal release on the vinyl & cd formats maybe a decade ago. This new release is a high quality recording as you would expect with a extra blueray disc included.

This two part concert was part of and included in the Rainbow Bridge film/movie released in 1971 after Hendrix death in September 1970 although the concert film footage was edited in the movie and features a new age/hippy commune on the island of Maui in 1970 when Jimi, Mitch & Billy visited the islands commune and performed the two foresaid concerts.

UK price £35

The front picture of the cd- https://www.music.net.cy/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/Untitled-1-4-696x696.jpg

Last edited:

E-Z

Reaction score
Chuck Wein who is mentioned on this recording was a hippy (new age) film director back in 1970 who got to know Jimi when Jimi was on the film set of Rainbow Bridge in July of 1970. Chuck turned up on a 'unofficial' Hendrix dvd about 10 years ago recounting his memories of being with Jimi on the Rainbow Bridge film set. Chuck died in 2008.

The Wikipedia entry on Jimi Live In Maui- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_in_Maui

As a Hendrix devotee of 40 years out of the two sets apart from the songs New Rising Sun & In From The Storm from the fist set the second set is the more interesting of the two because it features newer material by and large that would appear after Jimi's death on the posthumous vinyl albums The Cry Of Love, Rainbow Bridge OST & War Heroes. The song Villanova Junction (Blues) turned up towards the end of the Woodstock set in a improvised guitar section and the song Jam Back At The House was a rare Mitch Mitchell instrumental song that was worked up at the house in Woodstock prior to the Woodstock festival in the summer of 1969. The blues song Red House was featured on the Are You Experienced UK version of the album in 1967 along with Stone Free which turned up as the B side of the single Hey Joe back in early 1967.

Last edited:

E-Z

Reaction score
I like the story of the verified observation of a UFO being spotted flying across the pacific sky (a typical flying saucer shape) when Jimi and the boys were playing a set and was briefly picked up on camera by the Rainbow Bridge film crew who were filming Jimi's set at the time. Jimi may have said that the aliens were probably 'digging the sounds' as well.

Last edited:

E-Z

Reaction score
Nearly 40 years ago I had some crazy idea of visiting the island of Maui in the Hawaiian chain of islands and climbing up to where the Rainbow Bridge concert took place and in fact it didn't stop there I also thought of travelling to some of the venues that Jimi, Billy & Mitch played in the US back in the early summer of 1970 such as at the Berkeley community centre in California.

About 20 years ago I bought a hardback book in London that was written by a Swedish guy I believe (without looking at it?) that gave the information on all the venues with pictures that Hendrix played between 1969-1970 so I knew where everyone of the concerts took place in the US & Europe during that time span (1969-1970). The same guy also published a hardback book for all the Hendrix concerts taking place between 1966-1968 but I didn't bother with that one strangely?.

Last edited:

E-Z

Reaction score
Featured on a 'unofficial' Hendrix dvd about the Maui concert at the end of July 1970 Chuck Wein the counter culture film maker retells a brief conversation that he had with Jimi on the Rainbow Bridge film set where Jimi possibly in a 'tired and stoned state of mind' tells Chuck in all seriousness about the next time he goes back to the Seattle in the USA it will be in a pine box which turned out to be true. Also in the same unofficial dvd a female friend of Jimi's on the island of Maui (I forget her name?) relates a similar story whereby Jimi tells this female friend that he won't see 28 (age 28) in September and when she pushed him on what he meant by that Jimi replied "I'll be dead."

If anything it showed where Jimi's state of mind was on the Rainbow Bridge film set. Jimi was in an exhausted state probably due to a chronic lack of sleep and with the added combination of doing drugs and drinking alcohol as well it all had an adverse effect on his well being.

Last edited:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online