Hello all!

Ember

Reaction score
Hello to the forum! I'm happy to be part of the community of music lovers.
My world revolves around music although I do not play a note.
My husband is a musician/composer in the prog rock genre. I am a photographer and digital artist and do the covers and photography for his projects (as well as other artists).
My musical interests are very diverse. I've always had an affinity for progressive music and folk. I think the common denominator for me between these two genres is depth. Depth of lyric or concept.
I do like more party rock type music as well, just not always as emotionally satisfying. But if it does what it's meant to do and gets your heart pumping, then I tend to like it at the right moments.
I'm of full belief that art should be a tool to make the world a better place, even if it's just to give people that emotional boost we so often need.
I find this to be the most prevalent in these two types of music. Progressive rock often focuses on very deep observations and questioning of humanity. Folk music lends itself to celebrating the emotional joys and struggles we all experience in our human existence. Obviously these are generalizations and just personal observations of the music styles; I could be off but that's the way I see it.
(I'd share some links to the projects I've worked on but not sure what the rules are here on this forum...don't want to be called a "dirty spammer" ) :oyea:

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
I got to "prog rock genre" and I instantly hit that "send friend request button"

What kinda prog you into?

Ember

Reaction score
Cool! Friend requests on here too? Just trying to get the hang of the forum. I've decided it was time to branch out from Facebook. haha!
I've always been a major Floyd fan. Love Rush, Genesis (both early and later, I'm magnanimous in my Genesis love), Gabriel, Imogen Heap, some Kate Bush, and I know I can be accused of bias but my favorite music is my husband's. I know! I know! Bias!!! But I think I'd be a fan even if I wasn't married to him.
I've also learned an appreciation of YES, Gentle Giant, King Crimson through my husband. They weren't in my world when they were popular but much later in life I have found I like some of their music too. I'm having a hard time getting into Weather Report though, much to my husband's confusion. He loves them.
My son discovered Crimson's "Thrak" on my husband's ipod and is now thoroughly obsessed. I'm lucky to not have to listen to Radio Disney!
We're a prog family for sure!

Who are you into?

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
Cool! Friend requests on here too? Just trying to get the hang of the forum. I've decided it was time to branch out from Facebook. haha!
I've always been a major Floyd fan. Love Rush, Genesis (both early and later, I'm magnanimous in my Genesis love), Gabriel, Imogen Heap, some Kate Bush, and I know I can be accused of bias but my favorite music is my husband's. I know! I know! Bias!!! But I think I'd be a fan even if I wasn't married to him.
I've also learned an appreciation of YES, Gentle Giant, King Crimson through my husband. They weren't in my world when they were popular but much later in life I have found I like some of their music too. I'm having a hard time getting into Weather Report though, much to my husband's confusion. He loves them.
My son discovered Crimson's "Thrak" on my husband's ipod and is now thoroughly obsessed. I'm lucky to not have to listen to Radio Disney!
We're a prog family for sure!

Who are you into?

Not bad taste at all. I like a bit of King Crimson here and there. To be completely honest with you, most of the prog bands that I enjoy are probably bands you haven't heard of, but they rock hard. People like Devin Townsend, Myrath, Theocracy, Outworld. All phenomenal.

I saw you also mentioned Pink Floyd. I saw a laser show here in Seattle and it was quite the experience. I can't say I know what it'd be like to see them in concert, but a laser show was the next best thing.

Ember

Reaction score
I do need to branch out more. My list is full of the mainstream stuff. The only newer music I hear are the different bands of our friends or stuff that we've worked on in one way or other.
I'll have to check out the ones you mentioned. I do like Devin Townsend, that's a familiar name.
I generally don't like the heavy metal prog. Although oddly enough my son (newly 8 yrs old) has found Apocalyptica on youtube and it's his favorite band. I cringed when I found myself saying "It's a bit loud, can you go into headphones?". I felt so old!

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
I do need to branch out more. My list is full of the mainstream stuff. The only newer music I hear are the different bands of our friends or stuff that we've worked on in one way or other.
I'll have to check out the ones you mentioned. I do like Devin Townsend, that's a familiar name.
I generally don't like the heavy metal prog. Although oddly enough my son (newly 8 yrs old) has found Apocalyptica on youtube and it's his favorite band. I cringed when I found myself saying "It's a bit loud, can you go into headphones?". I felt so old!

A lot of the heavy metal prog is pretty fantastic i'll admit. And if you're REALLY wanting to branch out, you should get melodic/progressive death metal a chance :heheh: I'm kidding of course.

Nah, you like what you like, that's all that matters. Definitely give the bands I mentioned a listen, but again, you like what you like, everybody is different, that's the beauty of music :D, in fact, i'll give you a song by Theocracy that I love quite a bit:

They're christian progressive metal. They're not bad at all.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Staff online

Members online