• Guns N' Roses

Votes: 37 35.2%
  • Van Halen

Votes: 68 64.8%

• Total voters

Beady Eye

Reaction score
Original GnR > DLR Van Halen > Buckethead GnR > Hagar Van Halen

Van Halen are a very solid rock band who used to have an incredibly charismatic lead singer and ended up with a Hagar who is less charismatic than Eddie van Halen.
They churned out a dozen decent albums and win the quantity battle.

GnR on the other hand revolutionized rock music and blew away every other established band with Appetite, a timeless classic. Van Halen isn't even in the same league as much as I appreciate them. But come on, this is genius vs. solid craftmanship.

Beady Eye

Reaction score
Come to think of it: GnR and Van Halen actually have a lot in common. They both went from a sexy and charismatic lead singer to a hobo.

Van Halen: David Lee Roth --> Sammy Hagar
David-Lee-Roth-on-how-to-get-a-jump-on-building-your-business.jpg&cci_ts=20140220134713

20130824__1308525-SammyHagarMain_2.jpg

Guns and Roses: Axl Rose --> Sammy Hagar's twin brother
c93d0b48c8ce91c27ca85b65f20419c6.jpg
screen-shot-2016-06-06-at-9-33-58-am.png

TheWhalerfan

Lovus My Avatarus
Reaction score
I think that's ultimately what it comes down to. GnR made one album that was arguably better than any of Van Halen's, but Van Halen made many more strong albums (and that's considering only the David Lee Roth years) and was a relevant band for a lot longer. GnR was kind of like the Sex Pistols of L.A. metal.

Agree 100%

Beady Eye

Reaction score
Tommy Walker said:
I think that's ultimately what it comes down to. GnR made one album that was arguably better than any of Van Halen's, but Van Halen made many more strong albums (and that's considering only the David Lee Roth years) and was a relevant band for a lot longer. GnR was kind of like the Sex Pistols of L.A. metal.
Agree 100%

Isn't that also true for the great ACDC debate? If you were to create a best-of album, most of the songs would be from the short Bon Scott-era. Brian Johnson was part of way more albums and was commercially more successfull, but never quite reached Bon Scott's level.

In terms of quantity and longevity, Van Halen definitely wins against GnR. It's like comparing Eddie van Halen to Slash: Eddie is the so much more technically acclaimed guitarist, but how many memorable riffs and solos did he compose compared to Slash?
GnR burned out quickly, but they shone much brighter than Van Halen ever did.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online