Gibson Guitar Company ‘Running Out of Time’

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
ultimateclassicrock.com

slash.jpg

Gibson Brands, Inc. – makers of the iconic Gibson guitars played by Slash among many others – is “running out of time” to resolve serious debt issues that could shut it down, a finance expert said.

The company, which has annual revenues of more than $1 billion, has to deal with upcoming repayments totaling $375 million, with a further $145 million due if the first amount is not serviced by July 23.

Commentators noted the chances of refinancing in time looked “slim,” the Nashville Post reported. CFO Bill Lawrence recently left the company after less than a year in the position, and the options facing owner and CEO Henry Juszkiewicz looked “likely to sideline” him. A deal with equity firm GSO Capital Partners, which brought in an emergency $130 million loan last year, had left some holders of the $375 million bonds worried about the security of their investment and made worse by a “lack of clarity” from Gibson.

Juszkiewicz had three realistic options, one expert said: He could renegotiate the bonds for new ones, which might turn out to be too expensive; he could hand over some of his own equity to cover the amounts; or he could commence bankruptcy proceedings. “This year is crucial and they are running out of time – rapidly,” said Kevin Cassidy of Moody’s Investors Service. “And if this ends in bankruptcy, [Juszkiewicz] will give up the entire company.”

Gibson’s problems are thought to have arisen mainly through their electronics operations, which have seen a sales slump in recent years. The firm made a $16.6 million payment to bondholders last week after selling a warehouse for $6.4 million, while another building should raise $11 million when it is sold. A regular financial report is due by next week. “Some type of restructuring will be necessary,” Cassidy said. “The core business is a very stable business and a sustainable one. But you have a balance sheet problem and an operational problem.”

The Gibson Mandolin-Guitar Mfg. Co. was founded in 1902 by Orville Gibson. It introduced the famous Les Paul guitar 50 years later.

Powerage

Let There Be Rock!
Reaction score
Looking at their recent designs, personally i think most of them look horrendous. Plus it appears they've stopped making certain classic finishes and designs available in affordable price ranges. A Cherry Burst Les Paul is now £2-3K whereas I'm sure you could get them new for £1500 in the past.

I say affordable, I mean with interest free credit because I don't have £1500 to drop on a new axe haha.

I also read recently that a guitarist (can't remember who it was but from a fairly recent big metal band) quit Gibson and moved to someone else because he didn't like the guitars and the people at the company. Worrying times for in my opinion the best of all guitar makers.

treborillusion

Reaction score
https://reverb.com/news/gibson-nods...aign=FBshare&utm_medium=FB&utm_source=FBshare
IDK about this.

Gibson VOS Les Pauls were £6k - £7.5k brand new, and used about £3.5k - £4.5k
I know this because I have Gibsons, even a VOS, that I never bought new, I bought it used.
It's kinda why I'm happy about it, since it's the one I wanted, and once was quoted to cost me £7.5k to order one brand new in 2014 from Gibson (before I found one and bought one in 2017) back when Gibson supplied Macari's of London, I used to love their new stock in 2014.
I know the prices of Gibsons, that I like.

Today, however, a Slash Anaconda Burst is like £4k brand new, but, I don't know anyone who wants one, and me buying the guitar I want (a Gibson) but not buying it from Gibson and having my £7.5k guitar used for less probably doesn't help Gibson.

I have two of them...

23734004_307945843039783_7579623357583196160_n.jpg

My first Gibson I bought in February 2011, is that 1996 Gibson Custom Shop Red Sparkle Top Les Paul...
Paid £1, 985.00 for it, was reduced from £2, 800.00
It's got 60's neck profile and a chambered body... This was love at first play.

Last November I got a guitar I've been ******* over for as long as I can remember ******* over guitars...
My 2005 Gibson R7 VOS Gold Top/Dark Back Les Paul. That cost me £3, 995.00 last November.
This has a 1957 neck and a solid body.

Both of these guitars felt and sounded amazing (unplugged), otherwise they wouldn't be here...
Both of these guitars are also sporting my favourite headstock/truss rod cover and machine head combination too.

Both of these guitars I bought in the same location, but this shop had two different names and two different owners/changed ownership... - everything else stayed the same.
I bought my 1996 Custom Shop in Vintage & Rare Guitars on Denmark Street, and years later, my Gibson R7 in NoTom Guitars on Denmark Street (same shop/different name/owners).

Last edited:

BikerDude

Dude
Reaction score
Yeah the signs are bad.
Maybe in an act of true irony Epiphone will buy Gibson.
Not really I suspect that when Gibson goes it takes Epiphone with it.
Depends on how things are set up.
It could be that Epi is healthy and Gibson is fubar if they have the corporation set up that way.
But probably not.

Gibson skipped NAMM this year.
It was clear they were on life support at that point.
If they do go to bankruptcy someone will buy the patents and the trademark.
I guarantee that because it still has a lot of value.
Fender?
Imagine that.

I don't typically buy very expensive guitars.
I've found that around $700 will get me all the guitar that I want or need.
And from about there up there is a diminishing return.
Not on value but on sound and playability.
The distance from OK to very good is a lot wider than very good to great IMO.
But the price between OK to very good is not that much.

Last edited:

OldHippie

Resident Yooper
Reaction score
Even though I am a die hard Fender guy this is some heartbreaking news. Sounds like giant corporate screw up to me.

Old Dude

I do not suffer fools gladly.
Reaction score
Yeah the signs are bad.
Maybe in an act of true irony Epiphone will buy Gibson.
Not really I suspect that when Gibson goes it takes Epiphone with it.
Depends on how things are set up.
It could be that Epi is healthy and Gibson is fubar if they have the corporation set up that way.
But probably not.

At this point, Epiphone is just another Gibson brand name.

Gibson skipped NAMM this year.
It was clear they were on life support at that point.
If they do go to bankruptcy someone will buy the patents and the trademark.
I guarantee that because it still has a lot of value.
Fender?
Imagine that.

Don't be too sure about that. Gibson's patents are mostly expired. Everyone and their brother it seems makes some sort of clone of every significant Gibson/Epiphone model.

I don't typically buy very expensive guitars.
I've found that around $700 will get me all the guitar that I want or need.
And from about there up there is a diminishing return.
Not on value but on sound and playability.
The distance from OK to very good is a lot wider than very good to great IMO.
But the price between OK to very good is not that much.

You got that right. The actual difference in sound or playability between a well set-up entry level guitar and an overpriced "custom shop" guitar is seldom anything any mortal set of ears can detect. That's especially true for electric guitars. Throw in the impact of amps, stomp boxes, room acoustics, and the skill of the player, and it's really, really hard to tell the good from the great guitars in a blind test. I've test played many of the Gibson and Epiphone versions of the venerable ES-335 at guitar stores. None played significantly differently from my bargain basement Epiphone Dot Studio. They weren't all identical, but the differences were a matter of personal taste, not objective fact. The other guitarist in the band I play in plays an Ibanez clone of a PRS. Both our our guitars have dual humbuckers, though his is solid and mine is semi-hollow. We've played each other's guitars, plugged into our own effects and amp systems. No matter which guitar we were playing, he always sounded like himself, and I always sounded like myself.

BikerDude

Dude
Reaction score
At this point, Epiphone is just another Gibson brand name.

Don't be too sure about that. Gibson's patents are mostly expired. Everyone and their brother it seems makes some sort of clone of every significant Gibson/Epiphone model.

You got that right. The actual difference in sound or playability between a well set-up entry level guitar and an overpriced "custom shop" guitar is seldom anything any mortal set of ears can detect. That's especially true for electric guitars. Throw in the impact of amps, stomp boxes, room acoustics, and the skill of the player, and it's really, really hard to tell the good from the great guitars in a blind test. I've test played many of the Gibson and Epiphone versions of the venerable ES-335 at guitar stores. None played significantly differently from my bargain basement Epiphone Dot Studio. They weren't all identical, but the differences were a matter of personal taste, not objective fact. The other guitarist in the band I play in plays an Ibanez clone of a PRS. Both our our guitars have dual humbuckers, though his is solid and mine is semi-hollow. We've played each other's guitars, plugged into our own effects and amp systems. No matter which guitar we were playing, he always sounded like himself, and I always sounded like myself.

For me the issue with Epiphone is consistency.
If you get a good Epi it's great. If you get a lemon it's not.
But I've found the lemons are more common in acoustic guitars than electric.
The DOT is a killer archtop. A lot of guitar for the money. Perfect example of the best value principle. Some great players use them. Gary Clark Jr and Eric Krasno come to mind. Now they both have signature models but they both made a name using off the shelf epi archtops.

I also like other brands mid priced guitars. Schecter, Eastwood, PRS, Hagstrom, Gretch.

Once you pass the magic mid price threshhold the checklist of must haves is pretty much filled.
Beyond that it's just more select wood and stuff like the binding and all that stuff.
You pay a lot for a little and to be honest my favorite guitars get used. And sadly the abuse does add up.
I'd rather inflict that on a player guitar than a "wall hanger".

Last edited:

BikerDude

Dude
Reaction score
Even though I am a die hard Fender guy this is some heartbreaking news. Sounds like giant corporate screw up to me.

Big time.
They financed some bad acquisitions.
Mostly electronics.
At a time when software was eating the market.
And then guitar sales took a dive. So they are getting it from both sides.

Old Dude

I do not suffer fools gladly.
Reaction score
For me the issue with Epiphone is consistency.
If you get a good Epi it's great. If you get a lemon it's not.
But I've found the lemons are more common in acoustic guitars than electric.

That's to be expected. For an electric guitar to sound and play really good, the parts only have to be cut out accurately and put together right. The sound depends on the pickups, amp, and player more than anything else. But for an acoustic, the wood itself enters into the equation. It turns from pure craftsmanship to a blend of craftsmanship and artistry.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online