Genesis' Selling England by the Pound

joe

Reaction score
Is Genesis' Selling England by the Pound the "quintessential" album from the 1970's classic progressive rock period? Highly acclaimed by critics and prog. rock enthusiasts, it is a fantastic piece of music. Would do you think? Which album would you rate higher from that genre and era?

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I would have to think that one over for a while Joe, it is probably my favorite Genesis album from their early years...how it stacks up against the other giants of 1970 is a tough one to answer...:think:

Stout

Reaction score
Well, Joe, as a Genesis fan, I do rate it very highly. It`s in my top 5 of Genesis albums ,but not my No.1 choice. I reserve that for the Lamb, which I have written about in the albums thread. .
It is definitely one of Genesis` more progressive efforts. What is very appealing to me is that the talents of Steve hackett are brought up more to the forefront on this work. he was more involved in the writing process then he was with the the other albums.
And his playing is just immacualte. The Firthof Fifth solo is one of his crowning achievments.
Peter Gabriel`s lyrics are always top shelf, very witty and quite literary. Genesis is the master of storybook songs such as the first half of the Cinema Show, Dancing with the Moonlit Knight, and I know fans have problems with this track, but the Battle of Epping Forest.
All members were phenomenal on this album, but special kudos have to go to Tony Banks as well, whose keyboard work is always tasteful and restrained.
And your other question; Is it the quintessential progressive rock album of that period? I would have to say 'No' from my end.
I would go with Yes`s Close to the Edge. The form and shape of that album is perferction personified. The title track is easily one of the great mammoth epics. Perhaps I am partial to the track, 'And You and I, which after 38 years is stll jaw- dropping and a stunning track. The production is immaculate. Yes could never match that studio pefection when they peformed that said track.
Siberian Khatru flows along nicely, although they would perfect this one live.

Drifter

Reaction score
My favorite album by Genesis and probably tied with Close To the Edge and Thick As a Brick as the quintessential albums of prog during the early 70's.

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
I believe that there isn't one quintissential album greater than all the rest, but a collection of albums from all different bands that paint a portrait of prog. SEBTP would be included in this, but the aforementioned Close To The Edge, Thick As A Brick, maybe some Pawn Hearts, Lark's Tongues, Snow Gooses and other various animals would also combine to form an array of prog deliciousness :D

Vic2010

Reaction score
Nice album, but I like Foxtrot and Tresspass a lot more than Selling England. I'd also place a few YES albums before Selling England ...

Haven't listened to any of these albums in quite a while though. I need to revisit them. I just need to get up off my rump, find the CDs, and line 'em up.

:grinthumb

Abraxas

Reaction score
Great album. It's one of my fave Genesis albums from the Gabriel era (the other being Nursery Cryme) but I don't think it's a quintessential album from 70's era prog. I don't think there's any quintessential album from that era since there's so much good stuff out there there are three albums that really stand out for me: Larks' Tongues In Aspic by King Crimson, Remember The Future by Nektar and In The Land Of Grey And Pink by Caravan.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I don't think there's any quintessential album from that era since there's so much good stuff out there there are three albums that really stand out for me: Larks' Tongues In Aspic by King Crimson, Remember The Future by Nektar and In The Land Of Grey And Pink by Caravan.

Those are 3 excellent choices Abraxas, I have them all.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Also you guys can add ELP's "Brain Salad Surgery" and "Tarkus" in the mix of greatness for the 70's.

Kink Floyd

Reaction score
This is by far my favorite Genesis Album, and probably my favorite Progressive Rock album of all time. Perfect beginning to end, and not a blunder in sight. The Melodies and Peter Gabriel's lyrics along with the tight musicanship of the band has to be heard to be believed on this record. I mean, it's grown on me so much that I'd go as far as to include it among my 10 favorite records.

Special mention has to to go to firth of fifth. Isn't that the best drum solo in rock or what?

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElviraPeth

Staff online

Members online