friday rock show with tommy vance

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
I used to record whole shows on cassette. I would settle for playlists from those shows and have put out requests on other forums, without success.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
Tommy was a legend :bow: along with Fluff (Not 'arf) and Whispering Bob, they championed some great bands. :cheers2

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
I'd forgotten Whispering Bob. He used to play Alice Cooper and Joe Walsh, but seems to play a lot of modern country music these days (like Johnnie Walker).

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
I used to love Tommy's Friday Rock Show and like Big Ears used to record them on cassette tape - not whole shows but bits and bobs. It's thanks to one of the shows I discovered Queensryche as Tommy 'showcased' Operation: Mindcrime soon after it's release, I remember him (rightly so :)) raving about it. First time I heard Metallica was on his show too.
Very sad when he died :(

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
I recorded whole shows up to about 1983. These included Saga, Billy Squier, Frank Marino and Manowar. After that, the music changed and I stopped (although I still listened). I remember hearing him playing Bon Jovi and thinking this is the end of rock radio shows for me. I started listening again properly when Fluff returned from Capital (which I did hear, but it was constantly interrupted by adverts) to the BBC in the early nineties. He played ELP, Golden Earring and Glenn Hughes, so I was happy again.

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
Tommy vance was a legend, I went to see a tribute to him in London at the Albert hall a few years ago and they had a band on called Bones I think, they said they were one of his faves.
Ian Gillan, Scorpions and Judas Priest also played, a few other legends turned up to compare along with some cancer victims. It was done also for teenage cancer trust, was excellent:) I used to listen to him a lot on the radio, he had a large fan base:)

Powerage

Let There Be Rock!
Reaction score
Missed out on all these great shows by being too young. Closest thing my generation have got is Nicky Horne presenting the evening show on Planet Rock.

Powerage

Let There Be Rock!
Reaction score
Gillan, Scorpions and Priest. You can't get better than that on one bill!

Pretty sure that was the line-up for the Teenage Cancer Trust Tommy Vance memorial show at the Royal Albert Hall in 2005?

Edit: Fook, just seen Sweaty's post above explaining this. Ignore me.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
I didn't very often listen to Nicky Horne because the reception was so bad. I remember him playing And You and I by Yes.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hannibal37

Members online