Former Cro-Mags Bassist Accused of Stabbing at New York Show

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
main.jpg

By Miriam Coleman
July 7, 2012 9:14 AM ETLast night's CBGB Festival show at Webster Hall in New York City was forced to shut down early after a former bassist attacked members of the Cro-Mags in a dressing room, the New York Post reports.

At around 8:15 p.m., Harvey Flanagan, a founding member of the band who played bass with them for more than a decade, allegedly forced his way through Webster Hall's VIP section toward the Cro-Mags' dressing room. Upon reaching the dressing room, he stabbed William Berario and Michael Couls with a hunting knife, and bit Berario on the cheek.

Flanagan was eventually subdued by several security guards, and handcuffed to a chair by the police.

"People started booing him and throwing stuff at him," a witness told the Post. "His hands were handcuffed but he still gave everyone the finger."

The two injured musicians were taken to the hospital for their wounds, which were not life-threatening. Flanagan was also taken to the hospital for a broken leg sustained in the effort to subdue him. He was charged with two counts of second degree assault and a weapons charge.

"We are saddened to learn about the events that occurred last night at Webster Hall," the organizers of the CBGB Festival said in a statement. "Our primary concern is always the safety and experience of New Yorkers, music fans and the general public. Naturally we will fully cooperate with law enforcement while hoping for the speedy recovery of those injured."

Read more: Former Cro-Mags Bassist Accused of Stabbing at New York Show | Music News | Rolling Stone

Glad I decided not to go to this show. I'm a fan of the bands that were scheduled to pay, but I wanted to avoid the people going to this like they were the plague.

Also, Cro Mags last night wrote a message on their facebook page which was clearly a response to what transpired last night, but they took it down from their wall. They accused Harley Flanagan of being a racist and accused his wife of leaving him for a black man. I have no clue about the validity of these statements.
Also another band that was scheduled to play, Sick Of It All, also made some comments about the situation, "We want to apologize to all our fans. Just so it's clear the incident that happen had nothing to do with any of the bands playing tonight! We were so psyched to play and we are just as disappointed as all of you. Also it was the police that shut the show down not the club or the bands." Sick Of It All | Facebook

I disagree with what SOIA said. Clearly it had something to do with the bands involved since a founding member of one of the bands on the bill attacked his replacement and another member of the band he was formerly apart of. I also disagree with them subtly trying to blame the police. I am not a fan of the cops or any other government entity, but at the same time they did the right thing here. That being said if any one is to blame it is the security and their piss poor job as well as the man who brought the knife and used it.

All this being said, I am a fan of Cro-Mags and their first two albums. Harley helped create two classics, but that does not mean he is not an asshole.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildredLad

Members online