Female Fronted Bands

gregjohnson1229

Reaction score
If your are a male in a female fronted band are you destined to be forgotten? I believe so. It is the whole reason why Faith No More fired Courtney Love. They felt their own individual fame threatened by Courtney Love.
Here are some examples of what I am talking about. No Doubt. Everyone knows who Gwen Stefani is, but can you name any other members in No Doubt without googling it. Same goes for bands like Paramore and Evanescence.
I believe this happens mostly because of still the tremendous gap between male and female fronted rock bands.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
There could be something to that Greg. Ann and Nancy Wilson are the only constants in Heart, they had a great line-up for a while but later in their careers nobody from the glory years was in the band anymore.

But there are also countless all male groups that have had constantly shifting line-ups due to internal jealously/rivalry/personality conflict no doubt.

I think a woman should go the Shania or Doro Pesch route, you are "The Band", no matter what you call them and keep 100% control over that side of things, makes it simpler in the long run.

Famous women in all aspects of life seem to have more trouble than men.

gregjohnson1229

Reaction score
There could be something to that Greg. Ann and Nancy Wilson are the only constants in Heart, they had a great line-up for a while but later in their careers nobody from the glory years was in the band anymore.

But there are also countless all male groups that have had constantly shifting line-ups due to internal jealously/rivalry/personality conflict no doubt.

I think a woman should go the Shania or Doro Pesch route, you are "The Band", no matter what you call them and keep 100% control over that side of things, makes it simpler in the long run.

Famous women in all aspects of life seem to have more trouble than men.
However I do feel that in all facets of American society that women are gaining a lot of power and rightfully so. I am not trying to discredit frontwomen. I think many of them are extremely talented and is refreshing to here the change up that a female singer brings to rock.

TheWhalerfan

Lovus My Avatarus
Reaction score
I think the answer is yes, and Heart is a perfect example. Most people with a moderate interest in music know who the Wilson sisters are, but how many of them can name another band member, such as Howard Leese who had been with them for decades? Only serious music fans would know any others.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I agree, there have never been more prominent women in music than right now. But it's also no secret a woman climbing the corporate ladder faces way more challenges than her male counterparts, there have been numerous instances of that injustice over the years. They'll call a male excecutive "aggressive, in control", and a woman with the same personality "pushy, and a b***h". I actually think it's easier for a woman to succeed in music now than become a CEO of a major company.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Until like last year, none of the other members of Paramore even had wikipedia pages. LOL.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online