Favourite rock (auto)biographies

Agamemnon86

Reaction score
Sometimes music makes you read a book about the artist/band. Most popular books that come to mind would be "Life" (Keith Richards), "Inside Out" (Nick Mason) or "Born to run" (Bruce Springsteen). These are, obviously, just a couple, as there are many more.

What made you read a rock biography? Did you like it or dislike it? Would you recommend it?

mrblond

Reaction score
I think that music fans are always curious about this kind of books. I've read many of them.

Generally, I can define two types:
1. Informative type (recommended for real fans)
2. Commercial type (filled with trashy info intended for the masses. Avoid it.)

One that I recommend is the collaborative autobiography of Mötley Crüe by Neil Strauss.
I've read the last edition of it couple of years ago. It is entertaining and informative.

08.jpg

mrblond

Reaction score
Here one to avoid:

Rod Srewart official autobiography, first published in 2012 by Century Random House.

To be honest, I was tired of the endlessly detailed description of the Stewart's marriages, relationships, sugar roses, shirt colours etc. that the whole book is full of.
There are just couple of pages referring some valuable info about tours for example or something connecting with the cultural history.
As a whole, this is a fully commercial book to catch the broad masses and to calculate good sales to ensure his next wedding, I guess. ;)

02.jpg

Last edited:

mrblond

Reaction score
Mick: The Wild Life and Mad Genius of Jagger
by Christopher Andersen

Not recommended too. Emphasizes mostly on his numerous relationships.

10.jpg

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omyketotest

Members online