Favorite A Capella Tracks

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
A Capella is an awesome pure way to hear a song and when done right can be stunning and breathtakingly beautiful. Feel free to post any whether they be covers or originals. Here are my favorites:

First my favorite A Capella performance of all time comes off of an album that Ben Folds put together with various A Capella groups in Universities all over America. It was a great, original project by Ben and ended up being an album I loved and was addicted to for a while. The album was:

2natu7t.jpg

My favorite track from it was one originally performed by Ben Folds Five and actually one written by the drummer Darren Jesse for the last official Ben Folds Five album "The Unauthorized Biography of Reinhold Messner". The original was a very haunting beautiful track on it's own but when the University of Chicago Voices In Your Head group did their version of the song for the comp I think they brought it to another level and it's a stunning arrangement. The A Capella adds an almost spiritual element to it and it moves me very much. Hear for yourself.

Magic-Original and A Capella

I can't make an A Capella thread without mentioning the first A Capella I ever heard in an album "Me and a Gun" by Tori Amos. It's not a beautiful song by any means but it shouldn't be considered it's subject matter. It is beautiful in the sense that someone can release such personal demons in such a raw powerful way.

Tori Amos-Me and a Gun

The last song I'll add for now is the one that made me think about starting this thread because it was the most recent one I've come across. The Smashing Pumpkins are leaving links for other bands that have covered them and this artist "The Last Domino" decided to go the A Capella route with SP song "Muzzle" and it came out cool. What this one shows is how A Capella can draw attention to great lyrics! Hear are both versions!

Muzzle-Original and Cover

Well those are mine! Does anyone have any examples of their own or any opinions on A Capella at all? :)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
After I posted this thread I thought who would be an artist great for A Capella that I haven't heard do it and I looked up my favorite soul artist ever and lo and behold Marvin has one! :grinthumb

marvingaye1.jpg

I Heard It Through The Grape Vine (Live A Capella)
(what a phenom, the silent intro is eery like something big is going to happen and then IT DOES! Amazing!)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Cool track Metal! The Beach Boys were the best in harmonies in their day so it makes sense that they could pull off A Capella greatly! :grinthumb

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
It's a great thread!! I knew you had to have Tori in this and I was right!! :grinthumb

Rightly so, cause that's a terrific track!!

Here's a cool one. Great video too!

Billy Joel ~ The Longest Time :grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I was actually discussing this with another member and it was brought up that that song could easily be included in this thread and it's a great pick! A classic!!! :grinthumb

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Here's one from a Movie...a favorite movie of mine..after the number, one of the saddest scenes on the screen. Fanatastic.

Neil Diamond ~ The Jazz Singer: Kol Nidre

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online